May 09, 2005

With battle standards flying

The story: When I registered for this course, I clearly stated that I wanted to major in Journalism. No where did I suddenly change my mind and decide to do something else. Admin staff were aware of my choice. Lecturers were aware of my choice.

A few weeks after classes commenced, I found out I was the only one who was going to do journalism. Not a problem, I thought, the less people who choose my same major = less competition in the field, hurray for me.

My third semester starts somewhere in July. This morning, I was jolted out of a deep sleep because my college called and told me to go see the bitch tomorrow. Apparently there's a problem with my major because I'm the only one taking it and they're concerned that 'I might be alone'.

Bloody hell, anyone can read between the lines, you asshats.

I'm still waiting for the call to confirm the time for the appointment. By the looks of it, I'm not gonna get it today cos it's already 6.51 pm. At any rate, my calm zen-like holiday-mode existence has been shattered. When I go, I'll be going in warrior woman mode. I hate people who stare me down, or at least attempt to anyway, so I retaliate in kind.

Turning the other cheek really does not apply to me. I plan to graduate with my ass planted firmly on the Dean's List, and I'm comfortably on my way.

Don't fuck with my major.

6 comments:

Tan Yee Wei said...

I wish you all the best in your quest.

Lim Tik Loon said...

Just switch college

Pebbles said...

You are not very lucky with colleges are you?! Hmmm... tricky situation but remember customers are always right!

Anonymous said...

saff, when they say "they're concerned that 'You might be alone'", what they really mean is "It's not worth* it for us to run a course that accomodates only one student".

*worth here as in electricity bills, lecturer bills, space, rent etc etc.

I don't think they're staring you down, they're just trying to keep things in theier best interest, which is of course, themselves, not you:/

Good luck wrenching the course out of them:)

narrowband said...

Isn't there any college that specializes in journalism? If you end up the 'only one' taking the subject, make sure it's LAN-approved and recognised. I'm with you though, as customers we've our rights. You can thank them for the warning, and carry on being the 'only one' in the major. No rules broken, are there?

Saffron said...

@Tan Yee Wei:
Strong of heart, sound of mind, I shall go forth. :)

@Loonatik:
It's not that easy. :( Btw, whenever I try to load your site it says cannot connect to server. Is it my fault or is it yours?

@Pebbles:
That could possibly pass for an understatement. :( Thanks for the help.

@taste:
Yeah, I know. That's why I called them asshats. :) Anyway, to be dramatic, my future is not about to be jeopardised because it'll make their life harder, so that's something we'll both have to deal with.

And trust me, she was staring me down.

Thanks for the wishes. :)

@M3tt8:
Wah, so free to read blogs? :D

Yawor, wasted oney to call me. Bawani still haven't confirmed the date with me, so maybe tomorrow I have to call them back again and see. Thursday MUET tim, I don't need this shit now.

I can confirm with you right now that I'm not going to change my major. :) Will SMS you when I get a conclusive reply from her.

@Narrowband:
The course is from USM, so I'm safe. The problem is everyoe in my semester chose to do either PR or advertising, so I'm the only one doing journalism.

I don't like the fact that they chose now to tell me when they could've told me way back in semester 1, so I didn't waste my money in Taylor's happily thinking I could do Journalism. Damn cheaters.

Got any lawyer friends ah? *grins*