February 04, 2005

My peace-loving, tree-hugging days are over

You know how they always tell us to be nice and polite when we were kids? I figure I've been screwed over.

I'm the grandkid who goes around the whole house calling everyone who's older than me. This practice may seem a bit weird to you (if you're from BF) but we've been indoctrinated to call "Granma" when we see granma and "6th uncle" when we see 6th uncle. "It's only polite to greet your elders," maternal granma squawked.

My younger cousins never do this; it's only me and my brother. I was never allowed to touch the fridge when I was a kid cos my maternal granpa was some sorta sadist. Needless to say, cold food was very seldom acquainted with my youthful mouth. Now, my younger cousins revel in chilled apple juice and ice-cream whenever they're at my maternal granma's house. Evidently, politeness flies straight out of the window when you're a generation younger. You see what I mean about getting screwed over?

I never talk back and people think I'm dumb. Hmm, wait, that actually plays to my advantage, so I'll stop whining about it. I smile at the people at the front desk and someone cuts into my line. Nevermind, have faith in the cashier person. Have faith that she will politely ask the friggin queue-jumper to, hey, why is she serving him instead? Grrr...

If I want my place back, I'm going to have to sock the guy over the head myself.

Being meek and accomodating gets you nowhere. People cut into your queue, they intimidate the heck out of you on the highways, they force you to do more work, they take advantage of you, blah blah list goes on. What's the point of saying thanks when all you get in return is a stony face? What's the point of being understanding if the other person's just going to do it again, and again, and again, until one day you lose it and glue the pages of his library book together?

The meek will only inherit the earth after the bold are done with it.

The other day I was called to the program office to explain my absences. I have documentation covering all my absences, which were caused by illness, hence legit, and still the program director chose to give me a hard time. My friend Geo, who's in the same predicament, was absent less than me and she was forced to defer her entire semester because the director was a bitch about it. That's RM 7K down the drain.

God damn I was pissed. I know how much power she has over me, and I know I'm not Indonesian, so can the bloody intimidation. I hate people who act like they're the Queen Bitch just because they have a plaque on their door. Wanna play staredown? Sure, I'm game. Wanna throw me off with sarcasm? Well, right back at you, bitch. I walked in knowing what I wanted to get out of this, and I walked out getting exactly what I wanted.

Courtesy campaign? Pah!I was very proud of myself. Being a counter-bitch suits me just fine.

Notes:
Defer, means to give up this semester and rugi all the fees already paid, and to re-take the subjects I've already done halfway this semester, and pay the full fees again. Also means graduation will be delayed.

3 comments:

narrowband said...

Sometimes when I thank someone, I expect at least a smile or a nod. Better still, a "You're welcome". But most of the time my "thank you" is the last thing that happens. Happens everywhere.

We just gotta be mean to keep afloat - you either take advantage of people, or they take advantage of you. Sometimes i don't even see the need to be courteous.

S£ΔNNΔ said...

Hehe... Don't worry, I do it too... "Tua Koo", "Sar Ee", "Tua Ee", you name it... I think it's a good custom, really... Polite.

As for whether or not being nice and polite is good, treating an enemy badly makes them even more your enemy. Treating them well, can make them your friend. You know, I once knew this person. He would always be sabotaging me. My stuff would go missing before and after exams, etc. Calculator, textbook, you name it. Alway only on exam days. Not to mention the trouble he put me through daily. But I continued being nice to him, and I even prayed to God asking that he be blessed. And after a time, he actually became a friend of mine, and even asked me out a number of times, and kept on inviting me to come along. My mom, being a manager at a firm, also practices the same policy, and she does pretty well. In fact, her success is BECAUSE she was nice. Simply because she was nice, she was able to do what no one else thought could be done. Isn't that something good about being nice? So be nice, kind, polite, loving and understanding. But of course, take care of your own rear end as well, if you know what I mean... ;)

narrowband said...

Saff (and whoever reading), don't mind, please take few minutes off to participate in a 17-question survey at http://freeonlinesurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?id=81456

Thanks a zillion!