April 13, 2005

How to completely shrivel a guy's balls in 15 minutes

Arion is forcing me to listen to some mushy bittersweet love song. In an attempt to fob him off, I will write another embarassing post about myself.

Back in the good old days when I was still in Form 4, boys and girls in school uniforms were really cute and innocent. There was to be no holding of hands nor touching of other miscellaneous bodyparts until the crucial question has been popped and answered in the affirmative. That crucial question is, "Ah Lian, will you be my lub lub?"

OMFG I can't believe I actually typed that out.

Of course, before you jump the gun and call me sexist with the Ah Lian statement, I'll have you know I was, and am still, the proud owner of two rather harsh rejections over the course of my short life.

My nerve-tingling Ah Lian moment occured in the Coffee Bean outlet in BB Plaza. Back then, my ex and I had this habit of exchanging novels to read. I suspect that was just a very Sek Kin-ish plot to draw my interest, because I'm nothing if not a bookworm. (Evidence here)

Anyway, I remember the book he promised to lend me was about the Nan Jing Massacre, and I was supposed to read it when I got home. I would like to take the opportunity to remind everyone else that if you decide to copy this kao lui tactic, please choose a book that does not invoke images of rape, pillage and mutilation of human bodies k thx.

On that fateful day, however, my itchy hands decided to play with the book when he was fiddling with his handphone, and there was a piece of cardboard slipped in between the pages. At first, I thought it was his bookmark and wanted to return it to him, but when I turned it over it had my name on it, so naturally I kept reading. It was some sort of love poem.

After I read it, I took one look at him and I knew I blew his plans wide open. I can't help it, it's a natural-born talent that I have. Anyway, being the usual speak-before-I-think person that I was back then, I asked him, "What's this?"

At this point, it was out of sheer politeness that he didn't grab me by the scruff of my collar and shake me awake, because if there was a Stupidest Question in the World to ask, that was the winner.

He blushed. I remember thinking that it was really cute, but then he spoiled the moment by throwing the ball back into my court when he asked me if I would be his girlfriend. Like, for real.

Fuiyo, panic. It's kinda weird, cos it wasn't like I didn't know he was going to ask me that, not after the poem I just read. But I still panicked. It's really a wonder how I manage to ace my presentations. :p

Anyway, in the vein of the usual weirdness which I usually deal with things, I reacted to his question in a way that would have completely shriveled up the balls of a lesser man.

I laughed.

Out loud.

In a very crowded Coffee Bean outlet during lunch time.

And I didn't stop.

Seriously.

I think it was a laughing fit, cos I get those a lot. My Psych notes say that people deal with stress and traumatic situations very differently, though none of the case studies mentioned stated 'laughing fit' as a possible reaction, mainly because I think they were surveying sane people.

The guy just sat there and looked at me, and he didn't know what to say. Or maybe he was just too polite to jump out of his chair and put as much distance between us as humanly possible. I knew I was being very rude, and I knew I should stop, but you know sometimes when you're laughing and you want to stop, but the harder you want to the harder you laugh? Jesus, I really need help.

After 15 minutes passed (this is just a guesstimate, it could very well have been longer), I said I needed to go to the loo, and he walked me there and waited outside.

Once safely locked behind a dirty loo door, I swore at myself. How stupid can I be? I really really liked him a lot, and it appears that he likes me too, and I go and sabotage myself. I mean, seriously. A guy just wrote a mushy poem, elected to make himself as vulnerable as anyone can make themselves, and what do I do to him? I laugh in his face and I didn't stop. There're a lot of things I've done that I'm not proud of, but this is possibly the one I feel really really bad about.

So, now for the ending.

When I walked out of the loo, surprise surprise, he was still standing outside in the corridor, alongside all the other boyfriends who were waiting for their girlfriends to finish their peeing. As we walked back out to the main complex, he said, "Can you forget that I asked you to be my girlfriend and go back to being friends?"

How do I convey how I felt at the moment? I felt really, really, REALLY bad. Then, on an impulse, I slipped my hand into his, squeezed it once, and, I'm sorry for using this cliche, his face broke into a smile so wide it made me feel, well, many things. Relief that he still wants this mental bitch to be his girlfriend, happy because I didn't screw up his life, and power because I had the capacity to affect him like this.

We were happily boyfriend-girlfriend throughout the rest of our secondary school life. During that period, I was very, very nice to him. *grins* Happy ending. :)

Well, almost. After school, we maintained a long-distance relationship for half a year before breaking off, but we still keep in contact via email and he's been sending me greeting cards since then. I guess he didn't hate me.

12 comments:

Resurrected said...

Awww, so sweet. :P And darn funny.
Eh, next time don't laugh so loudly lah. Pity the guy. But sweet tale nevertheless.

Anonymous said...

the first time I told a girl I liked her. She was one of those classy looking petite young things you know? Though she's 3 years younger but I felt like a small little toadstool under the shade of this high and mighty mushroom (ok bad analogy..). it was on the phone and i went like..

me: 'hi.. i um.. really like you'
her: 'so?'
me: 'um.. i really do..'
her: 'ok.. anything else?'
me: 'um.. i guess not'
her: 'if there's nothing else, you should hang up'
me: *sheepishly* 'ok'

what a bitch eh? the worst part is that only made me crazier about her. i've got this thing for those really lansi type of girls... when they boss me around.. mmmm. sadly that was shortly before i finished school and after i moved to college, never talked to her again. can't imagine what a hotty she must be now... the last time i saw a picture of her.. i was like.. WOW! (don't worry both hands are on the keyboard)

narrowband said...

The ending was rather sweet... The laughing part however, kinda made me "ouch"ed for your ex. Okay, maybe in reality it wasn't *that* bad - But my imaginations tell me that you were laughing *really* loudly for "quite a while", during which he had to put up with confusions like.. "wtf-is-so-funny!?".

I like the impulsive "slipping hand into his" action.. It melts my knees week :p

seth.frostheart said...

awww saffy! tht's so puke-inducing, sickeningly sweet!! :D *chuckles* you brought back a lot of good sec sch memories for me. somehow or rather, i wasn't the poem writing type... i just made small talk, sat real close and jumped the gun(grab her hand la.. what you thinking..) and it worked all the time. i guess i was lucky like that.. :)

ArionW said...

Wtf love song. It's a song about revenge on his best friend who stole his fiancee while the guy was framed and sentenced to jail.

Pebbles said...

I am so in agreement with frostheart's "tht's so puke-inducing, sickeningly sweet!!" HEHheehheee... nobody ever wrote me any poem :(

Buaya69 said...

wah, never did had a GF back in sec school coz i didn't wanted any. and wat a waste! a few hot gals were literally throwing themselves at me but i was super kayu. my close friends used to shake their heads in disbelieve. finally 1st GF when i was in final semester at 22yo! ish! wat a late starter ;)

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAH... now THAT was funny.

so evil.

me... ah... me ah... dated too much to remember the very very first.

Anonymous said...

Interesting read. Though i really do wonder if you've shrivelled his balls up in 15 minutes ;) You reinflated them in that split second! I thought it sweet and in his shoes, it was worth it after all.

Out of curiousity, did he ever ask you further on in the relationship what the 15-minute laugh was about? and what was your reply? that you were ecstatic he finally asked?

Tan Yee Wei said...

Saffron, mind if i add a link to your blog on my page?

Saffron said...

@Res:
Sweet hor? :) One of my best non-raunchy memories of him. *grins*

I didn't laugh on purpose ler, the volume and duration was out of my control. :p

@Taste:
Hahaha, that's...interesting. Nice to see that not only did you pick yourself up, you also developed a fetish!

Eh, go check out Knight's blog ler, got a pic there you would probably like. Remember not to do stuff in the office that would embarass your family name if you're caught. *grins*

@Narrowband:
Thanks, I like the ending too. :)

As for laughing, yes I was bad. I'm probably going to hell for it. Your imagination is rather spot on, I'm sorry to say...

:D

@Frosty:
Hey, how often to I put you through sickeningly sweet memories?! Suck it up along with the underwear posts. *grins*

Secondary school memories are so sweet and innocent, eh? I think back and get a goofy smile on my face sometimes. :)

You are elite buaya la, everything sure easy for you, heheh. Nerds like me only get rejections.

@A.
I have no idea, still haven't listened to it yet. Har har har.

@Pebbles:
It was really mushy, and had typos. :D I didn't like it at all, cos poetry's not my style, but it was still diabetically sweet. :)

@Belacan:
Another elite buaya dropping comments on my blog. ;)

Doesn't really matter if you start late or early, cos you only need 1. :)

@Minishorts:
From the way you laughed, I think you're more evil than me ler. *grins*

Good going with the multiple experiences. :)

@Silencers:
I didn't screw his plans on purpose! But too late liao ler, now I explain also no one will believe. :(

Thanks for reading. :)

@Janus:
I probably broke his heart, poor guy. You won't believe the expression on his face as I was laughing there. Don't know about the worth of it, though I think he was better for me than I was for him.

He ever asked, I never explained. I think we both tacitly agreed that it was better to let sleeping dogs lie. :D

@Tan Yee Wei:
Wah, I'd be flattered, really. Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

*plots a devious plan to woo that flower girl*