March 13, 2005

Lizardus Terribelus

I used to be the proud owner of a Nokia 8210.


TEH RAWR! RAWR! RAWR! RAWR!
My 8210, in the exact same shade of red as this one, was affectionately refered to as the T-Rex, lovingly by myself, scornfully by my polyphonic-MMS-Bluetooth-canggih-phone-wielding friends.

My T-rex wasn't in as good condition as the phone pictured though. The silvery thingies by the sides of my screen were cracked, and the red edges were worn and discoloured. Being a typical girl, I also had a little pucca dollie hanging from it. Take a look at the pucca doll pictured, mine is exactly like that. Maternal granma bought it as a souvenir on her trip to Korea, and it matches my phone colour, so bleh. That was also the period in my life where everthing I owned, and I mean everything, was red. Bag = red. Phone = red. Pencil box = red. Wallet = red.


I AM PUCCA! TOUCH ME AND DIE!
The 8210 is a tough phone. You really wouldn't guess from its size. This lil bugger can be (accidentally) dropped, thrown (with empathic force), dunked in (toxic) toilet water, and used as a replacement for brass knuckles. That's apart from the usual phone functions of receiving calls, sending SMSes, etc. Isn't it spectacular?

Okay, to illustrate the utter spectacularness of the T-Rex, let me recount an experience. The year I was in Form 5, we decided to do an experiment and dropped a 8210 from the third floor of our block (that's where our class rooms were) onto the tarred road below. Upon impact, it broke apart into 3 pieces: the front shell, the battery, and the back shell.

Imagine the sight of about 10 kids of various genders in school uniforms rushing down 6 flights of stairs. Utter pandemonium, heheh. Anyway, after some hurried maneuvering, we managed to fix the phone and, with bated breaths, pressed the on-off button. Miraculously, the screen blinked to life and we heard the distinct and annoying Nokia greeting sound. Against all odds, that phone was still working! Gravity and force obviously had nothing on Nokia!

After ooh-ing and aah-ing over the spectacularness of the model, we quickly rushed back upstairs and replaced the phone in the bag of its clueless owner, and then each and every one of us went about our business as usual.


A few weeks ago my dad bought my brother a purple phone with flashy disco lights that's really a travesty to good taste, IMO. I said as much to my bro and almost got a black eye for that. Anyway, because my bro had a new phone, my dad pestered me to pick one as well. After much harangue-ing, my dad decided to pick the model himself, and my poor T-Rex was traded-in for the model pictured on top. Now, I am one of the masses who owns a phone with a colour screen and polyphonic ringtone. I'd like to try this model out in terms of durability, but I have a feeling it's not gonna be as tough as my Red Rex. Besides, it's in a wimpy blue and silver, blek.

*sigh*

I wonder where my beloved T-Rex is now...

6 comments:

narrowband said...

yeap, my old nokias dropped and broke into 3 pieces numerous times too. with coloured screen and advanced features inside, however, i wouldn't try testing its durability if i were u :p psyche yourself to believe that your t-rex has reincarnated into this new phone of yours, albeit not as tough (unverified claim).

btw - you dropped your t-rex into toxic toilet water?!?!!

Anonymous said...

my nokia 3310 is currently suffering from random relapse and time reset. Not to mention the constant empty battery sign

iblogme said...

Yah, the old nokia models are tough like that. I dropped my old nokia 3310 many, many times and it only gave in after several years of abuse. Heh.

I want to know as well, did you _really_ drop your nokia in the toilet bowl?

Bawang Merah, my previous nokia 3310 was like that as well. That means its time is up. :)

Lancelot95 said...

At least its better than me where I am the only one with my hands up when the tutor ask the whole class "Anybody doesnt own a mobile ?".

One of my housemate drop her BRAND new sony ericsson (cost about aud1000+) 3 days after she bought it. She dropped it into a swimming pool after getting drunk. Talk about being sad :(

S£ΔNNΔ said...

I used to have an Ericsson phone like that with those qualities too, only that mine was maroon in colour.

Saffron said...

@M3tt8:
Depends la, I think. If you use the functions in your phone then change it lor. I don't, so change also no point. :)

@Narrowband:
Erm, I didn't do it on purpose. I was in the loo and forgot my phone was in the back pocket of my jeans, so when I pushed my pants down it plopped into the toxic-ness of unflushed public toilet.

I hadn't started my business yet, but...it was not pretty anyway. :p

@Bawang:
Time to change, I think. I think fixing it would cost about the same as buying a new phone, so might as well. :)

@IBlogMe:
My Rex still working after years of abuse, but sadly, was traded in by the Evil Dad. :)

I DIDN'T DO IT ON PURPOSE!

@Lancie:
No handphone meh no handphone lor, save money also. :) No need to worry about recharging, topping up, going out, heheh.

If she fish it out immediately after dropping then maybe still got hope, cos my Rex also resuscitated, but if the phone went swimming for 5 minutes then cannot la I think.

@Seanna:
My mom loves maroon. :)