March 16, 2005

Late Night Cravings

I was watching Jamie Oliver grill hunks of meat over a barbeque and got hungry. Of course, the night when I'm craving greasy meat is the night we have vegetarian porridge for dinner, yucks. Don't you just hate it when they put foodie shows when it's really late at night?

Because I have nothing to do (I refuse to touch my Psych notes) and I'm hungry, I've decided to make a list of the stuff I'm craving right this minute. Also, it's an opportunity for you Yanks and Canucks to see what you're really missing. *grins*


PIG'S STOMACH IN WHITE PEPPER SOUP,
ZHU DU HU JIAO TANG
.
This is my favourite. I'd eat this for every meal of every day for 3 days straight (3 days is a LOT!) if I didn't have abnormally large tonsils (they get infected very easily which causes fever). As it is, whenever we go for bak kut teh dad orders a little claypot of this stuff, just for me, that no one else can touch. Not even the Oaf. Hey, get your own claypot, grrr.

The place where I get my fix has either moved or closed shop, so it's been a while. :(


VARIOUS PIG PARTS IN HERBAL SOUP, BAK
KUT TEH
.
So far my favourite haunt is a shop on Jalan Imbi, which sells out before noon, so we have to wake up early to get the stuff, which is not a good incentive, especially on Sundays. My mom is a meat-phobe, so she just takes soup and yau char kuay, and maybe a mushroom or two. My brother goes for the 3 layer meat and maybe some ribs if he's feeling happy. Everything else in the pot is whacked by dad and myself.

I like my bak kut teh with the whole works: chopped garlic, thick soy sauce and cili padi. Figured if I'm gonna do it I might as well do it right. Dating is completely out of the question when I'm doing bak kut teh. It ain't pretty.


DEEP FRIED CRULLERS, YOU TIAO.
Popularly known as yau char kuay. This stuff'll put doughnuts out of business. I get mine from a dirty little stall in Yulek, where I get my bubur chacha as well. I hate it when they over-fry the you tiao to the extent that bits of razor-sharp dough stick into the roof of my mouth, killing any pleasure of food for the next day or two. The perfect you tiao is one that's crunchy on the outside but soft and doughy in the inside.

My record so far is eating 7 pairs at one sitting (after dinner). I would've polished off the whole plastic bagful if not for the enlarged tonsils in my throat.


SWEET POTATO, YAMS, SAGO WITH PANDAN
LEAVES IN COCONUT MILK, BUBUR CHA CHA
Notice I have a little tag game going on here. :)

The time I tried to make this, it was a colossal failure. After that debacle, I decided to just buy em from my favourite hawker stall instead of going through all that trouble again. A bad habit of mine is eating all the other-coloured yams first and leaving the purple ones behind, cos I like the purples. Yellows are ugh-est of all.

I wanted to go on with my list, but after spending the better part of an hour looking for the bubur cha cha pic, I think I'm gonna call it a night and leave the rest for part 2.

8 comments:

Pebbles said...

*drool... drool...drool...* :)

Lancelot95 said...

u just made me feel so bad and hungry..
you should at least have a warning on the top next time for a food post ;)

ThatJames said...

It seems Babi Mia Kakak likes babi. :)

Fish Fish said...

Dear saffron, now you are tempting fish fish with the foods. They looks really good, especially the you tiao. I oso like it to be crunchy outside and soft inside. I'm going to show one in my next few post too. :P Hey, seem like we are on the same boat, saving the best for last. ;)

Johann said...

*sigh*

"Also, it's an opportunity for you Yanks and Canucks to see what you're really missing. *grins*"

*sigh*

Talk about cruel and unusual punishment. Time to go make myself some instant noodles. Stupid residence and not having a kitchen.

*sigh*

You need to take me out for food if I ever end up in KL. =)

narrowband said...

fellow pork lover...

i love bak kut teh, i love that 'zhu du tang', too! yumm yummm!!!!!

your food reviews always make me hungry...

S£ΔNNΔ said...

The food in those pics look real good... Mmmmm... I just hope that the next time I go down to KL, the food doesn't taste like it did all the previous times I visited KL... I guess Bak Kut Teh, Eu Char Kuih, Bubur Cha Cha, and the like should be fine, but I hopefully Saffy will help me find the proper tasting stalls... I hate noodles in KL... Ugh... So bland... Alex says if you wanna eat nice food, there are all kinds in Sabah... For me, a food guide is a must in KL... Wanna volunteer, Saffy?

Okay, so I have a grudge on the KL hawkers... I HATE YOU, KL HAWKERS! You MURDERED my tongue! :p Yup, big grudge... XD

No offense, Saffy... Just fooling around by releasing my grudges as I'm so bored and haven't slept since I woke up at 3am... >.<

WARNING TO ALL BANJO: If it says "Penang bla bla bla" on a KL stall, don't eat it. I tried and regretted (which is how I got one of my grudges against KL food).

Sorry for spamming, Saffy... XD Actually you're lucky, if you take a look at Alex's blog where I gave those amateur spammers a lesson on spamming technique... So boring la... Sigh... And now because of you, I feel hungry, AND I JUST ATE A FEW HOURS AGO! Your fault, Saff... I BLAME YOU... :p

S£ΔNNΔ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.