March 09, 2005

de-stressing

Today, I found out how much of a klutz I was. Well ok, I already knew how much of a klutz I was, but I was reminded again today. :p I thought my SP exam was on Friday, which was correct, only it was next Friday instead of this Friday, so I find myself with an excess of 9 days between stressful exam season, and what do I do?

I actually wanted to go out and have a drink so that I can get completely smashed and forget everything I've learned so far. Before you go and judge me, there's a reason why I want to do that. You see, I've sat for 4 subjects thus far, and I've memorised a lot of stuff I don't like, so in order to clear my head to memorise yet more stuff I don't like, I have to get drunk, hungover and recover over the weekend to start studying on Monday. Tadaa!

Love my logic, don't ya? My science teachers used to love me for that too. :p Unfortunately hangovers aren't conducive for lunches, so instead, I blog.

Hmm...The topics to choose from when I'm all calm and zen-like... Thought I might wanna talk about the kind of god I believe in, but that would be too philosophical for a relaxed post. Then I thought maybe I wanna talk about what Lorena Bobbitt did and how it's completely justified, but then again I don't want to deal with flames this close to my exams. So in the end, I remembered what a sort-of mentor told me when I said I wanted to be a writer. He said, "Saffy, write about something you know very well. And for the love of god don't write when you're drunk."

Sage advice. I should have that pinned somewhere in my room so that I'll remember it.

Anyway, I've decided to talk about how I de-stress during exam periods. Palpitating hearts and fluttery stomachs aren't good for writing clear, consice answers that will help me score a pass, so the trick is to relax.

Last semester, I had a subject taught by a lecturer that we called the Dragon Lady. From that name alone you know she's not someone you can play play with. 15 minutes before the exam, I was walking around the corridors outside the exam venue with my brother, and singing Close To You. Very warbly, very loudly, and very very off-key.

In retrospect it probably wasn't very de-stressing, especially if you were my brother, but at least I was doing something to distract myself from the impending doom (I scored an A, btw).

This semester, my trick to relaxing is by understanding and accepting the fact that there's no way I can get spectacular scores, so I settled for something lower, less stressful, and altogether more healthy. So that's the answer to life. Keep your expectations low and you won't get disappointed. Tadaa!

What an utterly useless post, eh? I have wine. *grins*

5 comments:

Pebbles said...

Aiyo!!! *slap forehead and roll eyes*

Lancelot95 said...

Muaks, Keep your expectation low, your hopes high and you dont get dissapointed easily .. hmm .. wise words from calvin ( not the philosopher, but the one with the furry tiger )..

Using examples from the comic :
You was Susie Derkins last year with all the "I am the best yo".
You are Calvin this year with that quote.

You might be Miss Wormwood in the future if you dont stop getting drunk while doing assignments :).

ArionW said...

I wonder if I had anything to do with that A grade.

Johann said...

Booze solves everything.

Well, except when you're dealing with a hangover.

Saffron said...

@Pebbles:
Eheh, you know what's worse? I'm listening to Evanescence now. Damned depressed liao. :D

@Lance:
Wei wei wei, apasal personal attack?? :((((((

Heheh, aiya, relax liao. I am one with the Force.

@A.
Nope, I can safely say that was the one subject you didn't help me with. ;)

@Banjo:
Yeah. Ever tried a hangover on top of a hangover? I'm very tempted, but then I could permanently wreck whatever working braincells that I have now. :p