February 27, 2005

Bone Crushers

I have this very weird habit of turning up in the same colour clothes as my best friend. We take 'sam ling siong tung' to a whole new dimension. Therefore, it should've been no surprise that we'd both be stuck in the same emotional dilemma at the same time.

Insane urge to swear is rising again, damnit.

Anyway, I'm not gonna talk about it anymore (privacy issues), so I'll just blog about something that I hate doing: shaking hands.

Usually when I meet someone I try to deflect the inevitable social practice of shaking hands by lifting my right hand and waving it around, kinda like the way you say goodbye to a kid, y'know? Unfortunately, being the bastards that they are, they always grab my right hand and give it an energetic pump before giving it back to me.

Okay, so it's commonly accepted that people shake hands when they meet, and they're not really bastards for doing it, but damn I hate having my hands shaked. I hate people who have a limp, wet (from sweat) grip. I hate people who grip so hard my fingers are squashed together and tears form at the corners of my eyes. I hate people who pump so hard it feels my arm socket's gonna come off. But most of all, I utterly, utterly hate people who grip hard and pump hard.

So, question time. What the heck is the common practice? Are you just supposed to grip till the other guy screams and chews off his arm from the wrist, or are you supposed to move your hand in an upward and downward motion (ooh, jackoff 101) while having a fake smile plastered on your face? Would it be bad form to completely ignore the hand offered and say hi with a sincere smile instead?

Can you believe I did 2 years of Business? *shakes head*

4 comments:

iblogme said...

A firm grip implys confidence. Some people overdo that by giving bone-crushing grips. :P

Common practice (but not so common, obviously!): brief and firm handshake with dry hands.

Lancelot95 said...

Sweaty palm is all too common but you dont want to be rude and snub it ..

So what do you do? You do the next best thing, you say your palm dirty or oily and get on with it.

narrowband said...

Agreed, a firm grip is good. Smiling, of course. The crushing part... Firm does not imply hard. Grip well enough to execute a brief, confident, handshake. I do that with my dad's colleagues, I bend alil lower and smile while shaking hands.

One of the subjects i took earlier taught about these things.

Saffron said...

@IBlogMe:
I hate people who think they can attack my hand under the guise of 'handshakes'. :p

Your common practice sounds like a dream to me, though the other day I was treated to a handshake so delish I promptly forgot my hand was even shaken in the first place. :)

@Lance:
Unfortunately no prescience ler, cannot know if the bugger's hand is sweaty or not unless I shake it first. No way out la. :(

@Narrowband:
Yeah, I was also taught not to grip too hard, make sure my hands are dry and shakes once or twice at most. Unfortunately, most of the people I meet have never taken the lesson I took. :(