January 04, 2005

Itchy hands

...make bad bed partners, especially if one of the parties is my Trillian.

The story is, one day while I fired up Trillian, I got a popup message asking me if I wanted to update to the newest free version available. So I upped and went to Cerulean Studio's website to download it. Installed it. Ran it.

Worked perfectly for a while, then the whole thing froze. So I tried clicking the x to close Opera. Then Opera froze. So I did what everyone else would do: I aimed my mouse randomly over the screen and clicked out of frustration. Then my computer froze. Whoopdedoo.

After restarting, I fired up Trillian again, only this time none of the IM clients connected. There was no way to get my old Trillian back. Now, I'm using Miranda. Unfortunately, for my ICQ list, it doesn't display nicks, just UINs. I'm not going to bother checking which number belongs to who so I'll not be messaging anyone, ya? Unfortunately2, try as I may, Miranda doesn't blink when I receive incoming messages. Well, it DOES blink, but not every time, and erraticness sucks. If I haven't replied you in a while, I'm either oblivious to the fact that you've said something or I'm in the loo. Probably the former, since I rarely spend more than 5 minutes in there.

The kicker? My brother told me to never ever download new versions of anything until it's been certified to work better than the old version. Unfortunately for me (that's the third one already), he told me about 4 hours after I installed the new Trillian.

Moral of the story? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Newer models may be flashier, but older models are more reliable (ahem to a certain someone, please take note *grins*).

6 comments:

Kimberly Low said...

i used trillian eons ago, never liked it cause my pc was slowed down so much i couldnt even use ms word properly. quite suspicious of all-in-one applications, prefering to use the simplest version of them as long as they get the job done.

narrowband said...

I seldom upgrade to th elatest version of softwares, especially those that I've cracked (from unpaid version to paid, registered version) - cuz that entails alotta work, searching for the new cracks for the new versions and make up "registered" versions. (Heck, i seldom pay for my apps).

My winamp is still 2.80 despite numerous prompts for upgrade. I always click no ;p I upgrade only when i really have to, like Windows media player, for newer codecs and stuff. As long as everything works fine, just scratch (literaly) if u feel itchy :p

ArionW said...

Many apps for XP nowadays have an option to turn off notification for updates. Always look around in the Options/Preferences menu to disable the pesky pop-ups and messages.

In fact, for WinAmp, you can set it in General Preferences so that it would never connect online. This in turn stops WinAmp checking for new versions.

Saffron said...

@leona:
I suppose it works for some people but not for others. I've already uninstalled the damn thing and the only places that're offering old Tril downloads are non-English sites. Not worth the babelfish trouble. :)

@Kim:
The old Trillian was pretty good, and not as much a resource hog as ICQ. The new Trillian is a 9MB behemoth. :( I like Tril cos it lets me tab chat boxes.

@narrowband:
*sigh*

I'm a noob. :( I should've learned all this before I went and upgraded my Trillian. Woe is me!

@A.
Speak English, you know I don't understand computer-speak. Okay okay, I'll try to find the buttons to click.

@John:
It's not nice to kick me when I'm down. If you have the old Trillian, can you send it to me? Please please pretty please? *doe eyes*

iblogme said...

No alphas and betas for you until this memory wears off then! *grins*

We are Malaysians. We like upgrades. ;)

Anonymous said...

@lengleng
i point you towards gaim. i'd point at kopete too, but that's KDE only.