January 04, 2005

Marvel, sorta

Bro had a get-together to attend on New Year's eve, and it was a potluck thing. My friends JW and WS were also coming over, so I decided to try out my spaghetti sauce recipe, and hence the process of decimating produce began. This time, my bro helped me out and it was fun watching the goof chop up tomatoes, heheh.


SPAGHETTI SAUCE BUILT FROM SCRATCH.

Contains about 10-15 tomatoes (diced), 1 can of button mushrooms (sliced), shitloads of garlic + onion + chopped chillies, peppercorns, extra virgin olive oil, black pepper, cayenne chili powder, and McCormick's Lemon and Pepper.

Bro was standing next to me burning bacon bits to a crisp while I made the sauce. 2 firsts for me that day: first time handling so much edible material (that is a HUGE container), and first time using a normal wok instead of a non-stick pan, the kind pansies like me like to use. :)


TWIRLY PASTA + BASIL (DARK GREEN BITS) + CAPSICUM (LIGHT GREEN BITS)

Pasta was boiled, dipped into cold water to stop it from cooking any further, and set aside. Added olive oil to it to stop the whole thing from congealing into a mass of gelatin-like dough. Lube is good. ;)

Before JW and WS arrived, I dumped the pasta into the wok and heated it, adding finely-chopped capsicum for colour and basil for taste. I only had green capsicum, so had to make do. Red would've been nice.


WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE IN A BOWL

Yes, we used styrofoam bowls. Washing up is a bitch, and I like to avoid that as much as possible. The dark red stuff is the fried bacon bits. The reason the bowl is kinda dirty-looking is because this is a second helping. *grins*


BACON + TOMATOES + MUSHROOMS + PINEAPPLES + ONIONS + BASIL = SAFFY'S PIZZA

My brother's pizzas were halal. This is not. Looks nice, doesn't it? It tastes better than it looks, muahahahaha.

I was told the food tasted pretty good, although my brother's friends complained that the sauce was a tad too sour. "Be thankful you have food to eat!" was my defensive retort, heheh. While best friends tend to be biased in their judgement, there was a Ramli stall just downstairs, so it wasn't like they were held hostage by a lack of available food. JW also saw fit to bring loads of chips and soft drinks along, which is fine and dandy except I couldn't touch any of the stuff. :(

Anyway, this is much better than the horrible lasagna experience. *shudders*. I'm not the kind who can follow step-by-step instructions, so no cookbooks for me. Randomly flinging stuff into the pan and then hoping for the best is a much more funner way to cook, heheh.

7 comments:

sarah said...

Damn that looks amazing.

iblogme said...

Pasta sauce looked really, really good. I've zero talent in cooking; the closest I've come to cooking pasta sauce is heating a canned one. Heh heh.

Anonymous said...

Cor! That looks absolutely delish!

- graceshu

Lim Tik Loon said...

great pizza u have there. *drools*. As always, your food blogs are awesome.

Kimberly Low said...

oii confess!!! those were take-aways, right????? mwahs :)

narrowband said...

wah lau - Saff the food blogger. *grrr*, my tummy's growling. They look yummy!

Saffron said...

@Sarah:
Hello. :)

Yeah, it looks amazing to me too. It has more to do with the lighting though, methinks. Fluorescent lighting wilts food.

Are you a Taylor's girl?

@IBlogMe:
Thanks thanks. :) I've found out that if I'm not impatient and turn the heat way up then things don't turn out nearly so disastrously. Non-stick pans rule.

@Grace:
Aw, thanks. My head is actually getting bigger as I'm typing this out. ;)

@loonatik:
Thank you. You have a seriously impressive blog. How long does it take for you to type your entries in both languages?

@Kim:
If you invite me to one of your happening parties I promise I'll custom-make you a pizza. *grins* And you were right, ovens are really cool.

@Narrowband:
Heheh, food blogger sounds cool. :) Restaurants/stalls are easier than home-cooked though. It's actually a lot of work, so I won't be throwing out my Prego sauce anytime soon.