January 13, 2005

It happened again

I read yesterday's Star (yes, I'm weird, I read yesterday's newspaper today. There's a reason for the weirdness, I'll explain it in a later post) and came across something about homosexuality and confused gender issues in Section 2.

And saw it happening again. By a reporter in a prominent newspaper. For the love of all things green and natural and pretty, if I ever see someone making a stupid mistake like this again I swear I'm going to...actually, I don't know what I'll do apart from fuming in rage. Kicking my pesky neighbour's kid might be good, but taking my anger out on someone else isn't healthy at all.

The point was whether homosexuality was inborn or nurtured. You know, the old nature vs nurture argument. The excerpt:
Regardless of whether homosexuality is inborn or nurtured, the greater question is: where does society draw the line in sexual behavior? If homosexuality is justified if it is inborn, what about adulterous, incestuous, paedophilic or bestial relationships if they are also proven "inborn"?

Violent behaviors are now thought to be genetically influenced, so are they legitimate because they are inherited?" asks Dallas.

Dallas, Joe. former gay rights activist and founder of Genesis Counselling in California. Cool dude, you're a former gay rights activist and you can't even differentiate between a valid comparison and a stupid one.

I've said this before, I'll say this again. You cannot bloody compare homosexuality to incest, paedophilia, adultery and/or bestial relationships because homosexuality is consentual and does not involve a victim or a perpetrator. No one suffers damaging pyschological scars as a result of that relationship. Incest is not consentual, and there's at least one party who's gonna be needing therapy as a result of that action. So's paedophilia. So's adultery. So's bestiality. Yes, bestiality too, cos unless you can manage to communicate with the animal you plan to have relations with, it's technically considered rape.

If you're going to argue about something, don't use stupid analogies like that to cloud the issue and try to turn people against the issue of homosexuality by linking it to disgusting and appaling things like paedophilia and bestiality. It only insults the general intelligence level of your audience and makes you look stupid as heck.

I'm going to ignore all the tacit implications that all homosexuals (male AND female) have suffered some sort of pyschological trauma and need counselling to get out of their current lifestyle. If people have suffered trauma or abuse as a kid, they may do all sorts of things when they're adults. Some 'turn gay', so to speak. Others make like Ralph Fiennes in Red Dragon and start glueing people to vintage wheelchairs. And that's just for starters.

Does anyone fact check (or have common sense) at all in the newsroom or are they blinded by the spin?

6 comments:

Resurrected said...

Well said. But why is adultery in your list? It may be a crime in some countries, but rarely enforced, these laws are.

Try debating! :) It's fun

Pebbles said...

I read the article too and I didn't even want to finish reading it cos I think it is stupid and no sense at all! I got fool by the first few lines and thought it is gonna be interesting and surprised at how "progressive" we became but... cheh!

Saffron said...

@Resurrected:
You need a shorter name!

Whew, heheh. Okay, let's see...adultery is in my list because that little former-gay-activist twerp included it in his, so I had to.

It's kinda fun debating if you get someone who's at least willing to give your side of the issue a good listening, but most of the time people are just blindly trying to protect their side, as if taking a hit suddenly means their worth as a human being is lowered.

I've been persuaded by the other side, and I've changed my initial opinion quite a few times. Have to admit though it doesn't happen a lot because I'm pretty obstinate. :)

@Pebbles:
Aiyo, you're the smart one. I thought it meant we were loosening up too and spent half an hour reading it, and then getting all worked up for nothing. I kept hpoing that maybe in that whole 2 pages somewhere there'd be a line that reassured me people who work in newspapers are still thinking when they do their jobs. Obviously not. :p

Maybe I should bounce an email over and complain about the reporter who was in charge of compiling info for that story. What're the chances the management will start reading my blog? *grins*

Anonymous said...

I don't know why people always mixed them together. Love and unwarranted submission are different things.

Saffron said...

I don't know either. The worst part is they toss out stuff like this and then look at you all smug-like and annoying, like they've just won the argument because that was infallible logic. :p

S£ΔNNΔ said...

Adultery is wrong because someone gets hurt. And everyone knows who.