December 28, 2004

I learned numbers back in school, but I can't grasp this. It's like telling me some star is 20 million light years away, I can't understand that. I know what it means, but I can't see that figure. Much the same way I can't see how so many people have died.

The number makes sense, the bloody earthquake measure 9.0 on the Richter scale, but at the same time it doesn't make sense. Oh hell, even I'm not making sense. No more news reports for me. I'm not watching anymore. This is getting too much for me, I need to stonewall.

Salutes to the people, local or otherwise, who're carrying out relief work in all the affected areas. I have a great deal of respect for people like these.

3 comments:

iblogme said...

Yeah, news reports can get to you like this. You may not feel as much when reading the reports' statistics and facts, but the personal tragedies made public will soon get to you.

Anonymous said...

Numbers are only relative. The feeling though are immeasurable.

Saffron said...

I've taken to completely ignoring news reports and have stopped reading the world section of my paper. If I see another video or another picture I'm afraid I'm send the rest of the week in a depression.

It's selfish, but it works for me. :p