December 28, 2004

Christmas Day

I'm not taking my codeine tonight. Hello sleepless nights.

On Christmas day, I awoke to the voice of my mom, telling me, "Will you get your lazy ass out of bed already? Yi ma and popo are coming over for dinner tonight and I need to you to help out in the kitchen!"

Saffy goes, "Eh?"

Great way to spring a surprise on your poor, bronchitis-infected daughter, mommy dearest. I hate being jolted awake. Gets the whole day off on a bad start.

So, being a Chinese daughter, I dutifully lugged my lazy ass to the bathroom, did whatever I needed to do in the loo and spent the rest of the morning in my PJs, systematically decimating entire piles of organic produce. I sliced button mushrooms, diced tomatoes, cut up those pepper thingies shaped like lanterns, snipped broccoli and cauliflower into cute little edible portions, minced bacon, hacked a whole chicken to bits so it can be ground up, sawed shoulders of lamb into manageable portions and chopped about 3 pounds of garlic, chillies and onions.

We need to get a grinder. One of those mechanical appliances that help you chop up stuff nice and quick. Either that or we need to get a chef's knife, something light and breezy and not as unwieldy as a meat cleaver. :p

So anyway, while mom and dad went out to buy tomato paste or something like that, I slinked off to my dad's room to play spider solitaire. After I finished one game (I lost), mom came back and started making some noises that meant if I don't haul my ass to the kitchen right now and start helping her out I'm going to be the next item on the chopping board.

Ah, the fine art of communication.

So I spent the rest of the afternoon helping my mom make lasagna (it was a colossal failure), stew lamb (great), grill chicken and boil soup. In addition to making about 7 pizzas, I also managed to build a spaghetti sauce from scratch that was, and I quote my yi ma, "Amazing." I also managed to sneak 2 glasses of vodka lime, muahahaha. In retrospect, it probably made my bronchitis worse, but I slaved all day and it's Christmas, and I'm 22, I can do whatever I want.

I found out I can cook. I'm like supergirl. Heheheh.

Notes
Yi ma: older sister of my mom.
Popo: mom of my mom.
Pics will be uploaded once I've uploaded them.

4 comments:

narrowband said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
narrowband said...

Before I go to bed, your post reminded me of my fav one-liner:

Ladies who can cook - preferred by men.

iblogme said...

Bronchitis-afflicted supergirl, or supergirl who cooked even though her respiratory system was acting up. :D

Saffron said...

@Narrowband:
I plan to marry a chef, teehee.

@IblogMe:
You don't want to know how many people I manage to infect with my super-cough, muahahaha. Let's just say I'm not a very hygienic person when I'm forced to do something in a bad mood.

Here's to hoping heat kills germs.