December 27, 2004

Of compassion and feeling on BBC

I just watched the 11pm BBC news coverage on the quakes, and heard a Victor Wee who's some sort of vice president or something of Malaysia's Tourism department speak about the situation in Malaysia.

Personally, I don't know the guy, so I have no idea what kind of person he is. Listening to Lucy Hockings interviewing him though, my first impression is I really don't like this guy.

Dear Mr Wee, in the future, when speaking to an international audience after a major catastrophe, kindly employ more empathy and compassion instead of trying to hard-sell Malaysia. Saying that hotel operations have returned to normal and that things are as usual makes you sound like a callous and insensitive person who's only interested in tourist dollars. Moreover, when the tv screen shows scenes of devastated houses, destroyed boats and people standing around in shock, 'normal' isn't exactly the first word that comes into mind.

So please, can the emphasis on normal, because I'm sure the families of the victims felt normal. I'm also sure the occupants of the 400 destroyed houses were feeling normal too. Or maybe it's just the tourists who matter, and the local people who live in coastal areas do not.

That was sarcasm, btw.

Ugh. I just hope none of the people who were affected by this tragedy heard him speak.

Notes
I think this is the guy, if I'm not mistaken. Someone tell me either way.

If you haven't already, please donate. There're many areas (here) worst hit (here) than us, and they could really use all the help they can get.

1 comment: