November 09, 2004

Random teenaged angsty rant #6

I figure I'm a pretty good girl. I don't cough up black phelgm, I seldom drink, I don't look at weed and go crazy, and I don't produce babies whose paternality is unknown. I'm polite to my elders, I have never slammed a door in my parents' faces, I don't idolise stupid boybands or buy stupid boyband merchandise in bulk. I'm reasonably self-reliant, relatively intelligent and frugal (stingy). I have a credit card I do not use (I'm a girl. This is unheard of), am toilet-trained and civilised enough to brought out to public. I study when I need to study, and even when I don't, I manage to somehow, through the grace of whatever it is that watches over me, pass my exams. Most importantly, I do not come home with random unidentifiable diseases after a night out.

And yet this is not enough.

Oh no, it is NEVER enough. My elders need to have something to nag about, and that is about my clothes. It's not about my wardrobe bursting (it does not) nor the amount of laundry that has to be done. FYI, I lounge in my PJs all day until I take my daily shower, after which I change into another pair of PJs.

It's about how low/short/tight my clothes are.

I bought a t-shirt the other day. My dad took one look at it and said, "It's too low-cut." It's not bloody low-cut, it's a v-neck t-shirt! Even if I had cleavage it would NOT be considered low-cut.

As a result of my dad's/granma's wishes, I have already stopped wearing a lot of the clothes I'd prefer to be wearing at my age and condition of my body. Occasionally, when I am out with friends, I would like to remember that I am, in fact, 21 (soon to be 22, hint hint) and still supple enough to wear a short skirt. On these occasions, I would like to get out of the house without endless questions about the clothes I am wearing.

You think they'd cut me some slack. *wrings hands* WHEN WILL THIS END?

4 comments:

Kimberly Low said...

nagging is one thing..but do they forbid you? you see i've got like a million tubes, but i always wear a tracktop before i exit the house lol especially at night.

Saffron said...

They'll eventually nag until I change or something. Sometimes I don't but I feel bad. We asians got it down pat when it comes to dealing with daughters. Guilt is a very effective tool. :)

Covering up doesn't work cos they'll know. I'd rather they just let me out than to have to go through all that trouble just to wear what I want, which is not what anyone would define as 'too much'.

Kervin said...

Beware the dangers of youth and a waning for a future date when we find ourselves in the same shoes and with a thought realise "we are our mothers" no matter how much we vowed never to be;) Yes parents are restrictive and sometimes I disagree, there are the types that are reasonable and let you argue the case and there are others that just want you to keep quiet and follow orders without questions. Hope it's the former for everyone out there;)

Saffron said...

@silence:
Hehe, mine's exactly the opposite. Mom lets me wear what I want, but my dad makes a lot of displeased grunting sounds when he sees me in clothes he thinks are inappropriate. In a sense I understand why he does that, cos he was young once and he probably knows what's going on in men's heads, but still...

On the bright side, whenever he makes the sounds I just tell him I bought the top with Mom and that shuts him up pretty quickly. Doesn't always work though. :(

@Kervin:
I know they're doing it for my own good. That's why I capitulate and change. :) It still sucks though.

And I hope to god I don't inherit my mom's contrariness, or if I do, I hope I never get married or have kids. It's really bad. :(