November 09, 2004

Bells and Knots.

I don’t think marriage is the ultimate answer. To me, marriage signifies a promise, not to stay in love, but to stick with the person you chose no matter what happens. Of course, when you throw death into the equation, the lines sorta get blurred, but let’s not get morbid this early in the day, ya?

Anyway, that very same promise can be fulfilled without marriage, as long as the commitment is there. A piece of paper isn’t going to make a guy stick around if he doesn’t want to. Of course, my dad’s not going to agree with me, and we’ve had some major blowups regarding this issue, so I’ve just learned to nod along when he says I’m wrong.

The only reasons to get married is for the tax breaks and the pretty gowns. I was told not to get married just for the clothes, so I suppose that leaves the tax breaks.

I’ve just had a chat with my friends who’re gonna get married in about 2 months time. They have a very harried schedule and are now stressed out of their minds, so a little outing with me is the ultimate cure. Nothing like a naysayer to perk up the spirits, yes? *grins*

We talked about rlationships and my hope for them that they’ll find their happy ending, and got around to talking about why relationships breakup and people end up divorced.

I suppose relationships eventually fall apart cos the people in them don’t work at it anymore. It’s easy to take the other person for granted after, say, 10 years of marriage, and stop working at the relationship the same way you worked at it when you were dating. No one ever claimed that relationships are easy, and the last thing to do is to all into this trap of complacency and still expect the relationship to work.

Best of luck, JY and K. I hope you end up with the happy ending you want.

2 comments:

Kervin said...

There was an episode of friends where Rachel, Monica and Phoebe went to collect a wedding dress. Hillarious as they put on their wedding gowns just for the sake of it. Yes I agree that most marriages breakdown because the couple don't work at it. The hardest thing is to make your love one fall in love with you time and time again. Don't be so pessimistic, I'm sure one day a guy will come and sweep you off your feet and then maybe there will be three reasons to get married instead of the two you mentioned;)It can be difficult but also at times rewarding, love :)

Saffron said...

Cool, a guy who likes Friends. :) It's not that I'm against love, I just don't see what's the big deal with getting married. I'll be fine without it, as long as the promise is there.

My friends tell me I'll make prime The Other Woman material. :p