November 27, 2004

November's Child

I had my first surprise birthday bash today.

Dr Irene organised a get-together thingy today, and from what I gather, the purpose is for the 'juniors' to be able to identify who the 'seniors' are and leech notes and photocopied books from us. While we were walking from the lift area to the venue, Angela was very fidgety and excited, so of course being the sleuth that I am, I immediately noticed her odd behavior and wondered if there was anything wrong. She said no.

Sleuth did not have enough sleep the night before, so she just left it at that.

After the get-together, during which I greedily stuffed 4 curry puffs into my face and chatted with a girl whose name I already forgot, we all elected to pretend we were taking Marketing with the rest of the gang and cabut from the party, which was getting a little awkward at the time anyway. Hey, just because I'm in Mass Comm doesn't mean I'm a social butterfly. Stop judging me. :p

We then adjourned to the halal cafe and ordered drinks. When they arrived, Helvi did as well, and it was then that Angela brought out the cake and said Happy Birthday Saffron! Of course she didn't exactly say Saffron, cos that's not my real name, but you get the gist.

Because November's child is full of woe, just as the cake was nicely presented, the heavens opened and decided to cry. On the day that I was born. I just hope that those were tears of joy, or else I'm royally screwed. I'll refrain from going into detail here because it's my birthday and I wanna look good.

We then shifted into the cafe itself and into a secluded corner, where I was further embarassed because the dafe was full and they started singing me a birthday song. In the grand scale of things, I guess it wasn't embarassing at all. we then divided the cake into 9 pieces and happily chomped away.

We even made it in time for class.

In case you're fooled by the flippant style of writing, here're my honest thoughts. I felt overwhelmed. No one ever celebrates my birthday with me unless I invite them out, which is not a bad thing. It's just that this is new for me. These are people I've known for 5 months. Not an incredibly long time in the Friendship Scale, and not only did they remember my birthday, they also took the trouble to actually buy a cake and transport it to college, and planned the whole thing.

They even sang in public.

Thanks to Angela, Jun, Helvi, Geogina, Novi, Siew Eng, Fara, and Sheena for being there, eating the cake and just putting up with me in general. I'll post pictures when I get them from Ange and Geo.

Notes
cabut: Technique #36 in Chinese Martial Arts, which means, in layman terms, to get the heck out of the place you're currently in by utilising your mad ninja skillz0r.

Ninja's are from Japan, btw, not China.

4 comments:

S£ΔNNΔ said...

Ceh... You never told me it was your birthday... Happy belated 5 hours 21 minutes and 50 seconds late birthday!!!

Kimberly Low said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!! *hugs*

love the new layout :)

Saffron said...

It's today. Why'd you think the name of this blog has 27 on it? *grins*

Thanks Kim, I'm gonna be playing with the colours now that everything's boring. :)

Foot Futt said...

Happy very belated birthday :) Was in Bentong so didn't read your blog. Ah actually Mam told me it was your birthday the day I curi chat with you but that was after the chat. Neways happy birthday!