October 12, 2004

Of Ambitions and The Garden of Versailles

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usRemember back in primary school when they made you fill in those little forms about what you wanted to be when you grew up? I wanted to be a teacher from primary 1 till 5, and it's not because of some noble intention to educate the young while being paid pittance for it too. No, I wanted to be a teacher because teachers got to write on the blackboards with chalk, and back in my childhood chalk was like the pinnacle of fun. Chalk was like Gameboy Advanced.

Following closely on Teacher's heels was Writer, an ambition I'm slowly fulfilling now that I have about 10 readers on my blog and even celebrity patronage once in a blue moon. I forgot about what I wrote in Number 3, cos I had a really short attention span that usually didn't last beyond the third blank space. Bad news for exams, really.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usIn primary 6 I wanted to be a Chicken Rice Seller, cos back then chicken rice was very popular and I figured I could make a bundle by chopping up various chicken innards and serving them to businessmen in shirts and ties. Sounded like an easy way to make money, and I could solve the problem of my short attention span in one stroke.

In Form 1, in my rebellious mood, I decided that I wanted to be a prostitute, because it seemed even easier to make money lying on my back. Besides, it shocked the heck out of my teacher. That was, until I found out that it was the pimps who made all the money. The poor girls just get exploited, so scratch that.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usFrom Form 2 to Form 5, I wanted to be a VCD seller. True, I didn't fit the typical mould of the VCD seller, cos I didn't have the dyed tacky blonde hair, the nose/ear/eyebrow piercing, and most importantly, the Magical Inflatable Thingy, but hey, I had a brain and I could probably outwit the DBKL fatcats. Besides, you won't believe the profit margin, sez my VCD-seller friends (now ex VCD-sellers)

After that, I was in APIIT for almost 3 years and all I wanted to do was get out of that atrocious god-forsaken hellhole in one piece. I think I left behind my spleen, but then in the grand scheme of things, I guess spleen ranks lower than, say heart or liver, and I'm already an emotional wreck, so I don't think it's a huge loss.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usYou may wonder why there're pictures of pretty gardens and statues when I'm talking about chicken rice and prostitutes. Now that I'm in Taylor's and supposed to be all grown up, I'm departing from my childish ambitions and have decided from now on, my life goal is to go to the Gardens of Versailles with the people who matter to me in life, at least once before I die.

5 comments:

seth.frostheart said...

Garden of Versailles eh? ^^ That's nice... Methinks for me... I would love to do the Silk Road once in my life, Travel the Sahara with the nomadic Bedouins, stay for a few months with the monks in Tibet, travel the South Americas for years... visiting Pablo Neruda's hometown, Che's shrine, the beaches of Ipanema.... My goals are lofty, unfortunately my wallet, bank account and monthly pay does not seem to be eager to reflect that ambition.. AGH!~ >.<

Anonymous said...

I wanted to be a fireman, just because I read a book about a fireman saving people :P

In high schools though I ended up not having any dreams, coz I was just plain lazy to think.

Anonymous said...

I have a week of my life that is forever preserved in amber - it was the most perfect week I could ever imagine. A beautiful girl (my friend's girlfriend) asked me to accompany her to Paris - I'd been there before and I just thought she wanted me to be her guide (I can be seriouly slow at times).

I have this lovely memory of me and that girl making love in a secluded corner of the gardens of Versailles when a police helicopter came overhead and hovered for a few minutes of entertainment. We were so in love that we were happy to provide it.

Until the other week no one knew about this except for me, Anne, and an unknown police helicopter crew. Then I told my friend Paul and he seemed to think it was a reasonable achievement. Anyway, I share it now. That's Versaille for me.

GrĂ¼n

Saffron said...

@Frosty:
Ooh Ipanema, the place bikinis were invented? ;)

Versailles is just one place I wanna go, there's loads more, but then the list would be so long it might be a bit intimidating. Why do you think I have a Send Saffy To Europe Fund? *grins*

@Nagulan:
Hey, thanks for reading. :) The reason I spent so much time fantasizing about what to be when I grow up during secondary school was cos I never paid much attention when teachers were talking about the molecular structure of bikars.

Seen Ladder 49 yet?

@Grunnie:
You have such an interesting life...but since this is the internet, I'll go with the rule of thumb. It never happened unless you have pictures to proove it! *grins*

seth.frostheart said...

Oh yes Saffy... the bikini and tanned, curvy Brazillian gurlies *glazed look in eyes and hanging drool by the side of the mouth*


Well, no thanks to one of my favorite MTVS: Snoop Dogg and Pharell's "Beautiful" for reinforcing the above fact *chuckles*