September 08, 2004

Sepet The Movie



Since I've figured out how to attach pictures, they're all I want to play with now, heh heh. Anyway, pretty cool poster, ya? I like all the yellow, it makes me think of old pictures and mellowness. The official website is here, though I'm told there're still some typos around. It also loads pretty slow, so either my Streamyx is acting up again or something's wrong with the site.

Onwards with the meat. Uh, sorry vegetarians. :p Sepet is a love story between a Chinese guy and a Malay girl. I'm assuming the title refers to the typical Chinaman/Chinawoman (equal opportunity!) eyes. It's directed by Yasmin Ahmad, who's also responsible for some of the Petronas Ads we see on TV during major festivals.

According to the synopsis on the website, 19 year old Ah Loong is an illegal VCD seller who, get this, is not only an incurable romanctic, but also reads and writes poetry as well. A VCD seller, nevermind an illegal one, who quotes Yeats and writes sonnets is obviously about as probable as a hooker with a heart who loves opera, but then again I'm a girl. I fall for romantic shit like this. That's why I watch 10 Things I Hate About You (and loved it) and How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days (liked it). Thankfully Sepet has a short name. Anyways, back to Ah Loong. His life changes (for better? For worse?) when a 16-year-old Malay girl comes looking for Wong Kar Wai's films.

The synopsis ends there, tantalising us (me at least) with the trials and tribulations the couple inevitably have to go through in order to cement their love. I'm guessing it's gonna take a lot for them to get together, only to face parental objections and social rejection. I'm also guessing sex won't be part of the equation because of pesky statutory rape laws and all that. Maybe it'll end sadly like City of Angels. Oh the possibilities.

I may not know a lot, but I know I'm going for the movie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

u wrong
they get together easily
eventhough sex is not the main point of this story
but this movie shows something different than others tipical malaysian movie

Saffron said...

You do realise I wrote this almost 5-6 months before the actual screening of the movie, right?

A lot of it is guess work. :)