September 24, 2006

Hello blog

Poor old blog, you're so neglected it's not even funny anymore. If it's any consolation, I haven't actually touched my PS2 in more than a year now. :/

I never thought I'd live to say this, but Taste was right. I should never have gotten sucked into the unrelenting whirlpool that is WoW.

Okay, on tp the blog topic now. On Friday, I had an opportunity to chat with my J2 lecturer after class ended.

While we were waiting for the lift, I spoke about how my mom would hate it if I were to be a 'serious' journalist, and not a fluffy one working for The Star (though I heard the benefits are cushy hmmmmmm...). I don't remember exactly what it was that lead to this topic of conversation, but my lecturer said to me, "You have your life to live," which was strangely reminiscent of what another famous blogger once said to me, only he was less gentle.

I had intended to intern with Malaysiakini, but my mom was vehemently against it after she found out that the site was blocked from her office. "ANTI GOVERNMENT OMG! ISA OMG!" Okay, so she didn't exactly say those words, but that was what her shocked expression conveyed to my WoW-addled brain.

My lecturer then said something along the lines of, "If everyone thought like you who'd be the ones to make a change?"

I've always been an introverted bookworm. I have more books than shelves, which explains the perpetually-messy vibe I have going on in my room. It makes me look intellectual :p Anyway, I guess it was a natural progression to move from reading to writing, and I do love it, especially when I don't have deadlines and can write at my leisure hohoho.

My parents know that when I have a strong opinion about something I'm stubborn as hell and I won't budge, and I won't sugarcoat, and if I were to be a serious journalist this trait would most certainly land me in hot soup, and only hot soup if I'm lucky. I suspect this is what makes them worried about my choice of career.

I once said to my bro that I sometimes resented my parents for not allowing me to fall down and pick myself up. My brother said, "Jie, imagine if I were the one who wanted to do something dangerous. Wouldn't you stop me?"

Bugger him, he should've been the elder sibling and not me.

At the end of the day I do want to have my own life to live, but on the other hand I don't want my parents to worry about me for the rest of my career. A compromise would be working out a timeframe for me to work as a serious journalist that's acceptable to us both, but then again I might like it so much that I don't want to quit. It'll be better to not start at all, cos you can't miss what you never had.

This is the first time my imagine-if-you'll-regret-it-when-you're-80 rule of thumb has failed me. And I thought I'd discovered a fool-proof method of making up my mind. Blehhhh.

Oh well, it was never meant to be easy. One thing at a time, I guess. Right now, the immediate bane of my life is not being able to take notes as fast as a person speaks without relying on shorthand. It's harder than it sounds QQ.

3 comments:

Resurrected said...

You are living my dream. :P
Seriously.
Always wanted to be a journalist.

Saffron said...

I can't believe you still check my blog. :)

Resurrected said...

Believe it :P
Oh Saffy where are you?