May 06, 2005

Fixations

When I was a kid my maternal granma's jewellery drawer was like a treasure trove. She had all her jewellery pieces in this cake box, with a specially cut sponge to anchor the stuff so that they didn't slide around whenever the drawer was opened or closed. For a lady her age, she had a lot of jewellery, beautiful pieces that were magical to me.

I loved exploring, laying them all out on her bed and pretending that they were all mine. It was easy to pretend to be a princess, even with raw scraped knees and a tongue green from sucking sweets, when you have a ruby brooch on. I'm still waiting for my Prince Charming though. :p

Of course, any sane adult would declare that precious drawer off-limits to my clumsy childish hands (they're still clumsy :p), so whenever I was caught red-handed I got whacked. As Calvin's dad likes to say, it builds character. *grins*

I had a favourite. It gave me a thrill every time I saw it in the box, twinkling at me. It gave me an even bigger thrill when I wore it (I wasn't supposed to). For some reason, I always played with it the last.







The other day, I finally got to wear it. Legitimately. I didn't even have to sneak around and preen at the mirror with the door half-closed. No one would come in at an unopportune moment and whack the bejesus out of me if they saw me with the pendant on.

I don't quite know what to feel though. It's a piece of beautiful jewellery, that's for sure. It's just not magic anymore. Thrill's not there. Maybe it takes being 6. Maybe I get off by being a kleptomaniac. I'm hoping it's the former more than the latter though.

10 comments:

Lancelot95 said...

Jewelleries ..ahhh .. wait til you get upgraded to diamond heh

Put it on and snap some photos... Looking at the object is good but looking at you with the object on is betterrr :)

Resurrected said...

Haha. I think you must be about ready to upgrade to diamonds :P, hence the lack of excitement.

And Prince Charming will arrive, soon enough ;)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, its just human nature to want something which we can't have :) Similarly, just relax and prince charming might just turn up ;)

Tan Yee Wei said...

Those little bits aren't diamonds? They sure do look like diamonds...

Foot Futt said...

I used to be fixated with my Singapore Auntie's sticker and eraser drawer. She's more like a cousin than an aunt cos small age diff. Anyway everytime I went to Sing I'd beg her to unlock the drawer. Lots of colourful and interesting stickers and sweet smelling erasers in there. And I usually got a freebie :)

iblogme said...

I guess the magical feeling came with being 6 and holding something so valuable that it was off limits.

Your grandma has good taste. That's a piece of lovely jewellery (or that might just because of the photos?) :D

Anonymous said...

Thrill's not there? I think you've outgrown the need for jewellery.

S£ΔNNΔ said...

That's a lovely pendant! I wanna try it on! ;)

As for growing out of loving jewelry, I don't think that even exists... At least not in my encyclopedia... :p

Relax and Prince Charming will turn up? Sure... But then when he DOES turn up, we usually end up being oblivious to him, don't we? >.<

Saffron said...

@Lance:
That is a diamond. It's a freaking huge diamond. That's why I keep it locked up after wearing it around for 3 days. :)

Pictures will be forthcoming soon.

@Res:
It is a diamond. I was excited. Just not as much as I thought I would've been. :)

I could turn out to be a lesbian, so shhh with the Prince, heheh.

@Janus:
Haha, thanks for the consolation. :) Kleptomania is so not sexy.

@Tan Yee Wei:
You're probably the guy who can survive a foray into a jewellery store when you need to get some stuff for your gf, compared to some people. *cough cough* the two guys on top *cough cough*

@Foot:
Haha, so nice ler your aunt. I think if the age difference was bigger she's shoo you off with a cane instead.

Of couse if the age difference is bigger it's hard to imagine her with a drawerful of erasers and stickers...

@Iblogme:
Yeah, it's probably the awe. It's beautiful, isn't it? I spent the whole afternoon looking in the mirror and playing with it, heheh.

@Viewtru:
I think females who outgrow the jewellery are just a figment of male imagination. It won't happen no matter how much you want it to. *grins*

@Seanna:
Get your own granma to give you pretty diamond heirlooms, grrr. :) And who is this 'we' you speak of?

Resurrected said...

Oops, me no good at this precious gemstones :P thingy. Must learn.

Lesbian? That's cool. :) And I think men dig that :P But there will be broken hearts