April 29, 2005

WoW

As expected, I'm having a shitload of fun in WoW. This game gives a whole new meaning to the term 'vastness'. It's incomprehensibly huge. The downside is I have to walk everywhere, so that sucks. I am now a level 19 Undead warrior, who's really petite. That makes me less menacing than, say, a tauren warrior (screenshots tomorrow, or sometime later). On the upside that's a lifelong dream fulfilled (the petiteness, not the menacingness).

Unfortunately, I can't brag, because Lance and Arion collectively babysat me for more than 10 of my levels. I have become the kind of person I hate the most in an MMORPG: the useless bugger who tags along and leeches exp. And money. And loot.

Oh well, I can only hang once, so I might as well milk it for all it's worth.

In the process of my 19 levels, I have also discovered a few things about myself that I never knew before.

I can't type for shit when I'm doing something else (like walking). This is not new, cos I know I can't multitask. I just didn't realise how utterly bad I was at it. :( I'm also very incompetent when I'm with someone whom I know will protect me. It's at situations like this that I do stupid things like walk too close to aggressive monsters, charge a bunch of fish people (and die), forget what I need to fulfill my quests, get lost in a new city, etc. By the way, someone please remind me to repair my weapons and armour before they break, thanks. :)

As per usual, I'll end with a funny story. In WoW, there're living things you can sit on that'll transport you from one place to another. In different locations, you sit on different animals, for example in the Undead town (me me me!!) you ride bats, and in the Tauren area you ride chimeras. I have no idea how many types of animals there are because those are the only two places I've been to. :p

Anyway, the place these animals are kept by the keeper is called a windrider's platform. Or something like that. Basically it's one seriously tall tower you have to run up, and on top there'll be this person you talk to, just to let him know where you'll be flying. On one such ocassion, I fell off the platform.

Now that doesn't sound very funny, but let me explain. There're some very impatient people who like to jump off platforms, because no one likes stairs. There's no alternative when you're going up, cos no one can jump that high, and flying hasn't been implemented yet. But going down, there's when you see completely normal players go suicidal.

Personally, I like to yell "GERONIMO!!" before doing the leap of faith (and end up with roughly half of my hp left). Okay, back to the story. You have people jumping off platforms, which denotes intention, but never people falling off them, because no one is so bloody ham-fisted that they can't maneuver the directional keys to avoid falling off a platform wide enough for 5 people to stand on at the same time.

To make it worse, it was my first time in a new city, hence I had no idea WTF I was. So Arion, who was on babysitting duty that day, jumped down right after me. Only I didn't realise he jumped down, and I was too busy adjusting camera angles to try and find the tower, resulting in him having to scream at me three times before I heard him.

I'm as much of a klutz in real life as I am in a game, boohoo. I hope I provided, at the very least, comic relief.

Notes:
I actually took loads of screeenshots, but I'm too lazy to convert them to jpeg. Also, there will be a real update tomorrow because Knight's playing. Three cheers for the three musketeers! Five if you include the really old guys. :)

Again, words cannot describe the gratitude I feel towards the people who've helped me out so much. Arion, Lance, Frosty and Blade, who saved my life once when I was GBed.

5 comments:

seth.frostheart said...

okie dokie saffy, here's a tip... you can press the num lock key. that turns on the auto walk/run (/ toggles walk/run mode btw) mode... tap it again to turn it off. mighty useful for long distance cross country jogathons. if it's a pretty straight path, like in the barrens.. you can even go take a leak, get a sandwich n drink and come back... easy peasy :)

don't worry about weapons and armor going down to zero dura. you can still get em back to full dura, at a higher "i'm-a-klutz-i-broke-my-stuff" price of course :P only worry is when you're far outta town, halfway in a quest dungeon questing... that's gonna be a biotch (>_<)

hey i like tower jumping. there used be a clan called the zeppelin jumping society. those guys are a riot. they're like Gorgonash's BASE jumpers, lol. and actually there's a place where you can actually get teleported up onto a high plateau, buy a parachute and float down... i'll take you there one day :)

Johann said...

Looked into it, don't think I can get my friend's account. S'too bad, but such is life.

Glad you're having fun. =)

iblogme said...

You made WoW seems like so much fun! LOL @ your accidental fall. I know nuts about WoW, but are you going to repay him with a reliable supply of vials of potions when you are much powerful later? *grins*

Anonymous said...

Now you got me itching redi.

Saffron said...

@Frosty:
I know about the numlock key, it's just that whenever I put that on and type, I invariably end up charging a mob of aggros. :(

I'm still waiting for the parachute offer. :)

@Knight:
Haha, purposely don't metion your name see you will comment or not, heheh. :D

@Johann:
Awww...beg/borrow/steal gogogo!!!

@Iblogme:
Yeah, it is, thought it's the people who make it fun. :)

The funny thing is, he's the one who can make potions. By the time I reach lvl 60 I'll hopefully be able to craft l33t armour to rapy him. :)

@Bawang:
Hoho, mari mari main. :)