April 16, 2005

Thimbles galore!

I've been thinking.

That line is a classic example of how to prepare your readers for what is an abnormally profound and thoughtful post. Or, if your readers are smarter than the average thimble, they'll know that the author doesn't usually exercise her brain cells very much.

Anyway, before I digress further, I've always had a problem with the way people see me, mostly because what they see and who I am don't really gel. Of course, I'm not a passive participant, so maybe I'm doing something that creates that false perception.

I found out some time ago that a lot of people thought I was lansi, because I'm tall, hence I look down on people, I don't smile a lot, and most importantly, I seldom initate conversations. I remember feeling shocked because I thought of myself as, well, not quite humble, but not quite lansi either. So I went and asked my best friend if she thought I was lansi when we first met, and she said yes. Then I went around and asked some other friends who don't know me that well, and they answered in the affirmative too.

Whoa, news to me. I didn't change so much from secondary school, so I think I still give off that lansi vibe. But who cares, you insignificant little twerps. *grins*

There're not a lot of things I did that I can be really proud of. After all, I'm 22 going on 23, I still live with my parents, I'm not self-sustainable (I need people to feed me and give me money), I don't like responsibility, I don't score straight As, I haven't achieved anything that would make my parents really proud of me (like be a doctor or win a Pulitzer), and I do things that our stupid moral textbook specifically told us not to do. I don't usually feel guilty about it either. :p

Although I don't like responsibility, I've always thought that I'm the kind of person who does what is required of me when I am given a particular responsibility. That's why I generally think things through before accepting any position, because I don't want to quit halfway. I also don't think I'm the type who'll push blame to others, principally because I hate it when other people do that. I also don't like hypocrites, so I try not to be one myself.

Then again sometimes the way I see myself and the way others see me can be on totally opposite ends of the spectrum. Back in secondary school, I'd worry and worry about this, because I don't like it when people have a misconception about me. Now that I'm older, I realise that a lot of things are out of my control. All I can do is try to explain it the way I see it, but if that doesn't work, then they'll have an opinion about me that I disagree with, and let's leave it at that.

Notes:
Parallel Lines was removed because I edited it, and then felt that I shouldn't have edited it, but the original draft was gone and I couldn't let the edited one stay in place.

The title is in no way meant to be offensive, hoho. I just like the word 'galore' today. If you can manage to come up with a better title that doesn't sound pretentious, by all means go ahead. I'll give credit where credit is due. :)

3 comments:

Lim Tik Loon said...

IMHO, you are who people tells you who you are, so no point in telling other people who you really are. Confusing?

Anonymous said...

Loon has a point, but then again, you can't please everyone, so who cares?

Saffron said...

@Loon:
I prefer not to reflect what other people think of me, heh. Of course, if shitloads of people tell me I shirk responsibility then obviously something wrong la, but so far still ok. :)

@Janus:
It matters when it comes from someone whom I thought knew me, and whom I thought I knew. I feel pretty shitty cos I dunno where it went wrong.

But then again, nothing much I can do anyway.