April 21, 2005

dog mauls girl, takes off arm and half of torso

I was halfway through my post when I suddenly remembered the spate of dog attacks on kiddies recently, and thought that writing this in a news column style might not be in the best taste. So I deleted it all, and that's half an hour of my life gone. :p

Yeah, I'm slow. Why? Read the title again, thanks. Psst, I'm the girl, not the dog.

Okay, onwards. Over the years, there were times when I was required to sacrifice personal interests to contribute something back to the family in return for them clothing, feeding and loving me over the past 22 years. Today was such a day. My granma sent me downstairs, across a road, up some rickety stairs and into the sundry shop to buy some eggs.

Because I just woke up from a nap (I'm on a break, napping at irregular times is a perk!) I decided some exercise would be good for me. After grabbing my wallet, I bent down to grab my slippers from the shoe rack and came up breathless. Ooh, not a good sign. Note to self: get off lazy ass and start exercising so I don't die by the time I'm 40.

If I'm fated to die at 40 I would sooo regret the time I spent on the treadmill.

So off I went, happily singing to myself while swinging my wallet in my hand. I've developed a nasty little habit of singing to myself after my stint as Saffron the Super Salesgirl, and I suspect it was due to extreme boredom. Little did I know that might have sealed my fate today.

I went downstairs with nothing out of the ordinary happening to me. Crossed the road without being honked at, thank you. Went up the rickety stairs and didn't fall into the drain. Bought the eggs while chatting with the store owner for a while. Tried to talk him into giving me a free egg since I bought a dozen, but he was a crafty little man who's an expert in his field, so my cheapskate attempt was foiled. Bought an ice-cream cone as well cos it's been ages since I've had any.

As I was stepping off the rickety stairs, I was licking the cone, swinging the bagful of eggs (very carefully) and singing to myself, when I met The Behemoth.

Now generally, I'm not scared of one dog. Heck, I'm a little doggie myself, and I figured if it was going to bite me, well, I have teeth, I'll bite it right back. This one though, this one was black with big nasty yellow teeth, and I can just bet you he (I spied balls swinging around) chomps through the neighbourhood kids for lunch. Or just for fun, cos you never really know with dogs. Did I mention it was also behemothic? Cos it was. Behemothic.

In the tune of bad-timing ruling my life, I wasn't armed with a stick or an umbrella that would be of some help to me in situations like this. Worse, I was wearing a Mickey t-shirt and shorts, so if he decided to bite it would go right through to the bone. Much worse, I was wearing big chunky slippers that makes my feet look small, but I can't run for shit in them. Worst of all though, was the knowledge that you can never outrun or outbite a Behemoth that has 4 legs and mandibles the size of my pinky finger.

PANIC PANIC PANIC

A while later I realised I was waving my ice-cream at the Behemoth like it was some kind of melting baton. A longer while later it came to me that maybe the dog was just hungry. If I throw the eggs at him they might hit him so hard that he thought I was attacking him, and scenes of a mangled and bleeding body flashed through my mind. I wanted to die pretty, but most importantly, I wanted to die painlessly.

Sadly, my dream was never fulfilled. The dog attacked me and took off my arm. And while I was screaming and the blood was gushing out of the hole where my appendage used to be, he decided that it would be fun to gnaw a chunk out of my torso while he was at it. And he did.

Now I'm typing with one hand and no liver. :(

15 comments:

Saffron said...

The real ending, in case you people are stupid and think my blog is actually based o reality. Of course, I don't mean that as an insult. I just meant it as a little reminder for stupid little flaming trolls.

In continuance...


A while later I realised I was waving my ice-cream at the Behemoth like it was some kind of melting baton. A longer while later it came to me that maybe the dog was just hungry. If I throw the eggs at him they might hit him so hard that he thought I was attacking him, and scenes of a mangled and bleeding body flashed through my mind. I wanted to die pretty, but most importantly, I wanted to die painlessly.

With images of a painful death (what did you think the fake ending was?) in my mind, I waved the ice-cream at him a little more energetically, and got his attention. At the back of my mind I was hoping that it wasn't my arm he was eyeing, but at that point there was nothing I can do if even if he was.

The Behemoth started to snarl and growl, dripping fetid dog saliva all over the place. Okay, if I had a plan, I better execute it pronto before the fake ending came true. With a silent plea for magical good aim to be bestowed on me, I closed my eyes (yes, I realise now how utterly stupid that action was) and lobbed the ice-cream at his forepaws.

Hey, I couldn't throw it at his mouth, it might hit him and then he might think I was attacking him. Besides, his mouth was very distracting, and not in a sexy I-want-you-now sorta way.

In a nutshell (because this is already too long) it worked, and I made it across the street and up the stairs to safety. His Royal Oafness laughed and marvelled at my ability to sing and summon a Cerberus from hell to scare the bejesus out of me. I lost my ice-cream to a dog.

But I am alive.

Johann said...

Yipe?

Yipey yipe yipe.

Yipe.

Thanks, I'm going to have nightmares for a week.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was terribly hot in hell, and Satan wasn't gving out any ice cream :P

Ps. I actually commneted on the wrong post. When the comments page republished itself, I realized I was on the wrong page

Anonymous said...

i remember when i was a wee lad coming back from my gymnast class and dis huge black rodwheeler(pun intended) came up to me and tried to chew off my face. i had my small plastic water bottle with me with a cool cat logo on it with me at the time and i swung it (it has a long rope to sling across my back) at the big son of a bitch and hit him square in the nose. Never bothered me again.

Taste 1, Dog 0.

S£ΔNNΔ said...

Wow... Lucky you... The way you handled the dog was so ala Jurassic Park... Only that there was no toilet nearby to throw the ice cream to and nobody in the toilet to get bitten and mauled by the dog... :D

I was so wondering why you haven't been on lately... Freaked out after the cerberus summoning? You really must teach me how to such a cerberus... :p

And sigh... I just wish I was going down to KL instead of going down to Melaka next weekend... Then maybe I could have looked you up... Bah... Just my luck... :(

Pebbles said...

Eh why you go waste the ice-cream like that??!!! ;)

seth.frostheart said...

WOAHH, you got me there... i really thought you were typing with one hand and no liver!~ :P

Buaya69 said...

i once faced 3 big growling fierce dogs while lost up on Penang Hill. Said a prayer and walked up to them. Growling became louder but just as I was one feet away from them, they stopped growling and wagged their tails and followed me around. I think angels stood beside me then ;)

Tan Yee Wei said...

I agree with Silencers and Pebbles about wasting ice-cream. Well, at least the dog had some ice-cream...

Saffron said...

@Johann:
Afraid of dogs too, are ye? :)

@Bawang:
No problem, it gives the illusion that I'm popular and have many reader comments. *grins*

Satan should pick up the slack and start treated his dogs better, damnit. I don't want another incident like that happening to me again.

@Taste:
Haha, where'd you get that water bottle? I want one too!

@Seanna:
Lucky? Lucky would've been not meeting the damn dog and finishing my ice-cream cone.

@Silencers:
There's someone home behind those red eyes of the damn dog, and I don't think he'd have gone after the eggs even if I'd thrown them at him. No one forgoes ice-cream for eggs. No one.

@Pebbles:
That dog was fucking huge! HUGE! I can always get ice-cream again. :)

@Frosty:
Type with one hand cannot play WoW liao. :( Eh, when when when you gimme the CD?

@Belacan:
*jots down in notebook*

Prayer, got it! :D

@Tan Yee Wei:
Luckily not Haagen Daz ice-cream, if not really sam tong already. :)

seth.frostheart said...

heck saffy.. talking about WoW,.. you never answered me back when i said i can't make it to klcc...

so where where where to meet up and pass u the instaler ANDDD when when when you coming in? i can't wait to take you on a guided tour of hordie-land :D

Anonymous said...

You wanted to die pretty? But most people want to die old, when they are not pretty anymore.

priya said...

Damn, I wish I had ice cream when I was chased by dogs all AROUND THE BLOODY PARK. Grr.

iblogme said...

If you had left out the liver part, you'd have me completely fooled. Gosh, and I told myself to be more skeptical of things I read on the net. :P

Saffron said...

@Frosty:
Credit low, will SMS you when I whore my body out for a prepaid card. :)

Or you can come to the Land Where People Get Lost Easily and go yamcha with your friend somewhere and I can come collect. Lemme know.

@Viewtru:
I don't wanna hang around until I'm 80 and incontinent. Better die when I can still walk and take care of myself so no one has to argue over who changes my Depends. :)

@priya:
That's good motivation for you to exercise. *grins*

Thanks for reading.

@IBlogMe:
I'm deciding whether to let my Sarcasm Meter explode or not. :)