April 24, 2005

Back from the Land of Karaoke Hell

I attended my mom's brother's wife's mother's birthday party tonight. Digest that first. Okay? Well, I attended the birthday party, and for the life of me I have no idea why people choose to throw birthday parties in Chinese restaurants. In Serdang, no less, The Land of Karaoke Hell.

"Why 'The Land of Karaoke Hell' though?" you ask.

Time for another history lesson, standard fixture in any authentic Saffron post. I once had the misforune of attending a wedding dinner in a Chinese restaurant in Serdang, complete with the whole Let's Sing Bad Songs From The 60s karaoke theme. That's not so bad, right? The difference though, is the fact that they cranked up the karaoke machine even before all the guests have arrived. Maybe some asshat thought he/she was being smart and decided to do a pre-dinner show. Well, my dears, it was a pre-dinner show gone horribly, horribly, horribly wrong.

I was near tears even before the dinner began, and they were not tears of joy for the happy couple. I felt a great rage and wanted to kill them, slowly and painfully, cos I don't think even Abu Graib used torture devices so cunningly.

Thankfully, tonight was easier, meaning they started the karaoke session at the 4th dish or thereabouts. Unfortunately, the dishes started slowing from that point onwards, probably because they wanted to let people sing, which really sucked for the rest of us non-singing guests, because all we wanted to do was finish and get the heck out of there as fast as humanly possible.

Karaoke sets aren't really expensive, if you really wanna sing that badly, go get a set and stop torturing other people's eardrums. To make the situation worse, the sound crew (or whatever sorry excuse of a sound crew tonight) had the volume up at max. There was virtually no bass, it was all high-pitch screeching. I actually got a headache at one point, cos it was so goddamned loud, bloody hell. There's really no winning in the hall, cos there was a huge ass chandelier in the middle and wall-mounted speakers on the sides, so you're dead no matter where you sit.

I don't know what it is with aunties and uncles who like to sing in public. I mean, do they have no sense of what they sound like? If a lifetime of singing in the bathroom will create people like them who have delusions of singing grandeur, by god, I will stopping all my Saturday Night Fever moves when I'm shampooing my hair, cos I do NOT want to hobble on stage when I'm 70 and sing Tian Mi Mi.

I always thought weddings and, in tonight's case, birthdays, are supposed to be happy times. For the life of me I don't get how subjecting people to 200 decibels of caterwauling is going to make any of your guests happy. In the end, I took to stealing a sip of my bro's liquor whenver it got too much, and then alternating with a sip of my mom's Sprite, cos I'm a wuss and can't take liquor by itself.

In the end the Oaf and I spent night playing American Idol judges. Unfortunately, we were both Simon Cowell on crack, which resulted in uproarious laughter from people sitting at our table. Hey, you burst my eardrums, I make fun of you in public. I still got the shit end of the stick. :p


CHANDELIER SEZ, "I'M A SURVIVOR!"
SO AM I, DEARIE, SO AM I.



Notes:
Chandelier pic from here.

10 comments:

priya said...

Hee.

My first karaoke experience was at that Songbird joint at SS2. Christ, that was a culture shock - didn't expect stereotypes to stare back at me in forms of overweight businessmen with girls sitting on their laps, and big burly guys in tattoos flanked by skinnier ones with blonde hair.

And right in the middle of it all was my friend's wholesome family =D

kennysia said...

My sentiments EXACTLY.

Which is why I cower in fear everytime I receive a Chinese wedding dinner invitation.

5xmom.com said...

Hahaha, those ah pohs and ah peks sure love to sing. Yeh Lai Siang can be croaked at least 4 times in a night. I'd rather die...than become like that next time.

Johann said...

Why am I suddenly glad I no longer deal with most of my Chinese heritage?

Oh. Right.

Not that Westerners are any better. They just have different ways of making complete asses of themselves.

Ahh, Karaokes... When someone goes on stage and can actually sing...

Well, they're STILL embarrased to be there.

Which is why I never go. And despite my singing voice, I've don't ever sing anything but drinking songs in a bar. Drinking songs... however...

Oh the year was 1778
How I wish I was in Sherbrooke now
A letter of marque came from the king
To the scummiest vessel I've ever seen...


GOD DAMN them all
I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold
We'd fire no guns, she no tears
Now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers!

Johann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Foot Futt said...

Yes yes may the person who invented karaoke be damned to a hell of suchlike proportions! I've been to those weddings before and I just walk out and go hang around somewhere nearby. Or go home. They are AWFUL! Noise cancellation headphones anyone?

Resurrected said...

Coming from a clan of karaoke lovers, I shudder at the thought of family gatherings and CNY. Well, I love CNY, don't get me wrong. But I do not like to be dragged into a karaoke session. I faced what you described at the wedding reception the other day :P Not relatives, but total strangers. They sang and sang. God. Save me.

Saffron said...

@Priya:
I've never actually been to a karaoke joint before. :p My sessions of 'singing' is only reserved for the bathroom walls and close members of my family, heheh.

@Kenny:
Sometimes I'm really tempted to snip a few strategic wires for the greater good. :)

@5xmom:
Yeh Lai Siang...*shudders*

I hope I don't end up like that too!

@Johann:
Drinking songs are so much more cooler! Besides, everyone's so hammered it wouldn't matter anyways. ;)

@footfoot:
I sing at home, just not in public, hohoho. If I'm the sole representative then can leave ler, but then usually I'm with my parents so cannot be rude.

The things I put up with in the name of politeness...*grins*

@Res:
Wedding receptions are generally the same everywhere, especially Chinese wedding receptions held in Chinese restaurants.

Bleargh.

S£ΔNNΔ said...

Hmm... I really am not sure how to relate with this, because I never really had to endure this... So I can't say that I agree... Most of the chinese celebration dinners (weddings, functions, etc.) that I've attended didn't really have karaoke... Okay, so some of them did, but they were quite well organized and the sound and singers were good... The one that I remember best was my eldest maternal uncle's wedding... I really loved that one... The songs were so lovely, I was kind of entranced... So for me, I kind of like those dinners, and look forward to them...

Anonymous said...

DITTO! ;)