February 07, 2005

I can tell it's going to be a good year

ACT 1, SCENE 1
Today, at an undisclosed location...

Auntie: Eh, Ah Laine, I heard from your mummy you haven't bought CNY clothes yet hor?

My spider sense tingling, I answered meekly, "Yes, auntie. No time to go shopping lately." I am always meek with my relatives. Keeps up the good girl image, muahahaha. Anyways...

Auntie said, "I got something for you. Come, come."

Little did the meek little girl know that she was walking straight to her doom.


ACT 1, SCENE 2
Inside one of the many rooms at the previously undisclosed location...

Auntie was rummaging in a cupboard. "See, I bought this from China one, thought want to give to you for CNY."

Me, thinking deep thoughts. Whenever relatives go to China, they always come back with tacky and completely inapropriate stuff. Shiny kitschy China-style clothes with frog buttons should only be worn by non-living things (like Hello Kitty dolls and dead relatives), and I don't want fake jade, thank you very much.

After Auntie removed almost all the contents of the cupboard, she pulled out something. As far as I could see, it was a piece of green cloth. Then she turned it over and I gasped.


OH, THE HORROR, THE HORROR!


Auntie: See, this one is good quality cloth, not silk so it won't stick to you when you sweat. CNY mah, sure sweat a lot cos so hot. You must remember to wear sunscreen okay?

I'm sure she said more, but I was in a state of total and complete shock. All I could think off was there's no way I could get out of wearing this for Chor Yat cos we have to visit this auntie on that day, and she would expect to see me in it. I nodded along with a frozen rictus plastered on my face as I ran through all the possibilities, including faking stomach aches and arson. Thankfully, years of drilling and indoctrination at the hands of a sergeant major aka maternal granma meant I could fake decorum even as my insides were churning in a diarrhea-ish way. Oh well, spider in a web. Maybe I should just grin and bear it, after all, it's only a piece of clothing.

I hope the contortion of my features passed for joy and happiness, cos (not so deep) inside all I could think of was, "Please, if there is a god, kill me. Kill me now."

Oh look, I didn't die.


ACT 1, SCENE 3
15 minutes spent modelling that piece of...thing for my auntie, much to the amusement of my cousins. Oaf was smart enough to realise I would deliver a flying kick to his groin and completely decimate his balls if he so much as snickered, so he was the model of serenity. At certain times, I don't give a shit if he's the only one to continue the family line. Piss off the tai ka cheh and there'll be hell to pay.

Back to The Thing. Another pic here for emphasis on fugliness.

In addition to being a horrible shade of puke green and brown, it was 5 sizes too big for me. From the front I look like a kung-fu nerd. From the side I look like I'm pregnant. From the back, well, I don't know, but I fully intend to wear it with a pair of tight jeans in hopes that my ass would distract people from all that horrible green-ness.

You know what'd be the best accessory to go with this? A brown paper bag for my head.


Scribbles:
Ah Laine is not my real name. For some reason my relatives like to call me that. I have been on a campaign to re-educate them, but Iraq is progressing better than the stubborn family I was born into. I blame my mother. If you think my nickname sounds a lot like "Ah Lian", you are wrong. VERY WRONG!

Chor Yat is the first day of CNY, where people visit the most respected members of the extended family.

Tai ka cheh is cantonese for eldest sister. Also triad slang for The Boss Lady, which I am not. Demure, sweet and sunshiny, that be me. *grins*

11 comments:

Foot Futt said...

Heh heh my comiserations. Methinks it might go well with a towchang. *run*

Jamiee said...

Giong-Xi (Chinese vampire) shirt. LOL!

Buaya69 said...

wah, wear tis really become tai-kar-cheh! make sure you don a cool sunglass with it. hehehe

Kimberly Low said...

omg it just isnt right lol could improvise by turning it into some chic-ish jacket over tube though

im glad me relatives give angpows instead of clothes

GONG HEI FATT CHOY *hugs*

S£ΔNNΔ said...

My condolences, Saffy... I don't blame you... When I first caught sight of that pic, I gasped too... It's so... "eww". But, umm... could I have the side photo of you wearing it? I wanna see what you would look like pregnant... *dodges any attempted attacks* Anyway, nice ploy you have there... you just might be able to distract the guys with your ass... Pity the world has girls too... My dear, pregnant kung fu lady... *dodges again* Okay... seriously, just bring it with you, and accidentally dirty it so that it's un-wearable and cannot be cleaned in time... Then run innocently to mommy and tell her... Then go like you need something to wear but now this one is dirty... What should you do? Hehe...

ThatJames said...

Cheh! There are so many ways you can turn this to your advantage. Go ahead and wear that on Chor Yat. Wear only that. Hehhhehh...

ArionW said...

Laine sounds so cool.

iblogme said...

Subtle hints to let aunty knows that she had bad taste in buying that CNY-blouse thingie: -

"It's too hot nowadays. I'll wear it when the weather gets cooler." (and promptly forgets all about having said this).

"I'm waiting for a special occasion to wear it." (which is Never).

Only works if aunty is not too blur.

Good luck! ;)

narrowband said...

I like your Laine name lah ;D

Man, that piece of clothing is so damn cool! Can scare the kids by playing giong xi (the vampire). lol on that paperbag on ur head thingie :p Can become some big-time triad leader tai ka cheh la in that outfit. Super la ur aunt... :D I like ahh!

Saffron said...

More than a week late. :p Better than never I suppose. I was, as the mafia dudes like to say, incommunicado. :)

@footfoot:
Luckily my hair is long enough to braid half of one of those whatchamallits. *grins* You don't have to run, you know I'm always good. *evil grin*

@doc:
Celebrity sighting! :) Now all of a sudden your jiang si shirt doesn't sound so bad. At least you can look like Chow Sing Chi instead of just plain stupid.

@Buaya:
Am wearing geeky specs, so no go on the shades. I just needed to practice my swagger.

@Kim:
Yeah, jacket over tube is what I thought too. Thankfully it worked out. :)

Your relatives are so cool. Happy belated (I'm sorry) CNY to you too, dear.

@Seanna:
Haha, thanks for the condolences. Very "mm hou yi tau" for CNY, but heck. :) Your trick's cool, but I believe in karma, so better not lie in case my future bf lies and cheats on me in return.

Suprb logic, no? ;) Pic'll be up shortly.

@james:
Wah, no need pants ah? In addition to looking like a throwback from Wong Fei Hung's time, I'll also not get any ang pows...

Money is my only motivation. :)

@A.
*Sarcasm detector goes haywire*

:D

@IBlogMe:
Refer to karma comment above. :) It's fine, I don't actually have my pulse on the fashion world, so looking frumpy happens pretty often. This is just my first time in puke green and brown.

@Narrowband:
*sarcasm detector explodes*

Between you and A., you've managed to ruin my technology! You guys owe me a new detector!

5xmom.com said...

Busy moving home and finally got here to visit you. Wahlau eh, past CNY but still got things to laugh at. Love your China vampire blouse. Apply lots of white powder, red eyeshadow, kautim