January 02, 2005

Gripes make the world go round

Because I'm stupid, I decided to heed JW's call to take the LRT to KLCC today. If you don't already know this about me, I have a principle that I adhere to, which is to avoid places like KLCC, Midvalley and 1 Utama like the plague on weekends, and especially on weekends that coincide with public holidays.

And yet for some reason, I decided to break that rule today. Well, yesterday, to be exact, but my (funky) internal clock is still in 2004, so bleah.

The day got off to a bad start when JW woke up late. I remembered to call her after I gau tim-ed my loo stuff, and woke her up. We ended up arriving at the LRT station at 11.30 pm, hence kissing movie tickets goodbye. By the time we got to the Putra station, things were not looking up. The throngs of people at the ticket counter should be the clue to turn back right that moment, but then I'm the girl who once stood at the (now closed) Metrojaya bus stop for 2 hours and 45 minutes waiting for an Intrakota bus to come take me home, so you can see I'm not exactly big on changing travel plans. To the point of being stupid, yeah. :p


SAFFRON WAS HERE!
When the packed, and I mean PACKED (caps and italics for added emphasis) Putra train rolled to a stop, we managed to squeeze in. Here's an FYI for travellers: You don't always have to stand where the metal bars are located. The Putra guys have conveniently installed those rubber handheld thingies on the overhead bars that would prevent you from falling when the train stops/moves/jerks/stalls etc. Well, provided you're actually holding on to them.

I forgot what time we got there (I don't wear a watch), but it was dfinitely after noon. WS managed to squeeze into her own Putra train after work to meet us there, oh, say noonish. Yes, she's working on New Year's day. No, she does not get extra pay. Yes, we have told her to find another job not where she is not supervised by Eqyptian slave-drivers. No, she is not listening to us. Yes, she is crazy/stupid/nuts.

So, KLCC huh? Wow, they renovated the place. And wow, the scary Ribena tree from last year was back with a vengeance.


RIBENA TREE, WITH CLUSTERS OF GRAPES!
After dilly-dallying for a while, we ended up eating at Chillis and holy cow the servings were huge. Cheese is good. :) I sipped hot tea while WS + JW had a ball with the limey lemonade that looked really good. Willpower maut, sheesh.

Walked around the place after we got tired of sitting on our asses and stuffing our faces with food. WS was the only one who managed to buy anything. Figured I had to wait while they were trying anyway, so I tagged along in fitting rooms and tried on clothes as well, just for the heck of it.

After KLCC, spent another 20 minutes or so squashed in the Putra train. Another FYI for travellers: it is always courteous and polite to stand aside and let the people who wanna get out of the train get out before you attempt to shove your way in. It is not nice to ignore repeated Excuse Me-s that're coming out of my mouth. I'm not saying it because I like the way it sounds, and you better get out of my way before I fucking elbow you in the nose for standing in my way.

FYI3, the elbow is the strongest part of your body. Go ask a doctor or something. If I'm right, that's probably why you see footballers and NBA behemoths doing it so much.

The STAR LRT station was, as usual, packed with people. Okay, FYI4: Just because the escalator (no one uses the stairs, a waste of concrete and tiles) takes you up to a certain point doesn't mean you have to stop and stand there like you're rooted to the spot. Walk a few steps to where the first car would stop and you'll be guaranteed a more comfy journey. Yes, I realise that that part of the station would be packed with people, but it's more than likely that the people at the other stations down the line are as lazy as you are and rarely take the time to walk the short distance, so you won't have this huge mass of people heaving in every time the doors open.

I have to say though, the kiddies who take the LRT were much more well-behaved.

After we reached our destination, we piled into JW's claptrap car and drove to a cafe where we had our yamcha session + bitch fest. JW drives a really old tank car with doors that're practically unhinged, and I'm not exaggerating. On the upside it's kinda fun to see those flashy Benzes move out of her way because the owners are afraid of friendly JW ramming into their RM600-a-pop headlights. FYI5, never ever get into a on-the-road pissing contest with an old claptrap car. You know, the type with peeling paint, a missing side mirror, rust on the doors and a real iron bumper. You'll definitely have more to lose.

To end this on a high note, public transport just makes my heart expand with luuuurve for the mass of humanity who call KL home.

Notes
gau tim: completed. 'Tis Cantonese.
yam cha: drink tea. 'Tis Cantonese.

Where did Saffy get the money? Last year's remaining ang pow loot. *grins* Instead of being sensible and budgeting stuff for this month's lunches, I decide to blow it all on a good meal.

LRT pics stolen from this site.
Ribena tree pic stolen from this site

All images are credited to their respective owners.

No comments: