January 18, 2005

Anomalos

"Zhok fan ah, fatt siew zhong yam kopi!"

Translation: WTH do you think you're doing drinking coffee when you're feverish?

She walked like a baby penguin, with unsure footsteps, as she went to the loo. I found her cup with coffee in it this afternoon and to my horror, proceeded to grumble and nag like a fishwife on menopause, completely unaware that I was doing it.

For as long as I have known her, my granma has never been sick. Well, except for that one time she was hospitalised for a uterus operation thingy, but that was back when I was still at the age where crying was acceptable, and it's not technically an illness.

You know the disconcerting feeling you get when you're tossed into an unfamiliar situation?

I won't exactly say this is out of my comfort zone, but it's weird that I'm the one checking on her when she's sleeping in her room, and refilling her thermos for her. Most of all, I understand now why she nags me to go see the good doctor in Pudu instead of Pertama whenever I'm ill (Pertama has quack docs, depending on the time and day of visit) and tells me to stop shovelling ice-cream down my throat when I'm having some mild coughing (it would develop into something worse, like the bout of bronchitis I got earlier). I also know why she worries when I don't have an appetite, and why she forces me to eat even though everything tastes like cardboard. I've known she cares a lot about us, I just didn't comprehend how it feels like to be on the other side.

It's funny what it takes for me to realise that she's well into her 70s.

4 comments:

Fish Fish said...

I like this post of yours, Saffron. I miss my grandma sooo much. Everytime when going back to see her, how I wish I can see her more often. Her legs are very weak now.

Sleekblackmercedes said...

My grandma passed away years ago; I have fond memories of her - she was a very loving person.. :)

Lancelot95 said...

yes... i would have think people with caffein addict would get sicker by not having coffee.

And its good to have a grandma around who will spoil you :)

seth.frostheart said...

well... unless ur grandma is the living embodiment of the empress dowager like mine *shudder*