November 16, 2004

A day out of my hermit hole

Went out with some friends today, and dropped by "Xiang Gang Huan Le Di" in Pandan Indah for lunch. (Breakfast for me cos I woke up at 12 :p) I forgot the English name of the place, and as we exited the shop I forgot to take a pic of the shop front, so GG forgetfulness.

As compensation, I got some pics of the food, and hence my first food blog thingy, yay!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

JW ordered some sort of rice with diced chicken, and it tasted a bit like 'lai yau ha', only it's spicier. As it is a female thing to trade spoonfuls of each other's food to see who has impeccable intuition, we pounced on her dish the minute the waiter put it on the table. Verdict: it was pretty savoury, though the 'plate' was too big. JW kept referring to the 'plate' as a 'basin', so you can see how big the thing really is.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is what yours truly ordered, a beef + vege + corn rice thingy with some sorta soya-like sauce. Either there wasn't enough sauce or it was too bland, cos halfway down my bowl of rice it was starting to get tasteless. There was also way too little beef. Kimgary makes this better.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

WS's lunch. Apparently she ate before coming out, and couldn't fit anything more into her belly. This is actually the first time I've ever heard her refuse food, and I've known her since Form 1. Okay, so maybe she's said it before and I forgot, but it still shows you what a glutton she is. For some weird (and unfair) reason she remains svelte no matter how much food she shovels into her mouth.

Okay, back on topic, it's some sort of thick toast with butter and condensed milk, and my god it was sweet. It looks pretty nice though, doesn't it? Hers was the best looking dish among the three we ordered.

*cue dramatic DUN DUN DUN music*

...But looks deceive...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is how scary her order really is once you cut the thing open. Can you see the 2-inch layer of butter on top of the toast? I swear they used like 2 cakes of butter on her toast alone. I lost some of my appetite after witnessing the dissection, cos, well, I'm not a huge fan of butter.

On a sidenote, does anyone know a coffeeshop around Cheras that serves thick toast like that for breakfast? People usually eat the toast with soft-boiled eggs and/or kaya. I have one of those pregnant urges to get some.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

JW decided to order some seafood cakes fried in oil, so this is it. It looks nice but is really bland, unless you dip em in the mayo that comes along with the dish.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tea with milk in ice, aka 'dong nai cha'. After what seems like a lifetime of Milo Kosong Bing (iced milo without milk/sugar) in Taylor's, it was gooood. WS's hand in the background. We both ordered the same thing.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

JW's drink, lemon juice with honey. I didn't hear any complaints, so it might be good. I wouldn't go back to this shop again for food, unless I haven't ate anything since 6 in the morning and it's now 12. The prices were about the same as Kimgary and the food is much better there in comparison, even if the owners suck.

After lunch we sat around the place and chatted for a while until I couldn't stand the direct blast of air from the aircon vent near my seat, and we adjourned to WS's house and lounged in her room for a prolonged session of icky disgusting girltalk. I now have a whole new arsenal of topics to blog about, whoohoo!

The day ended at 6 something, and just as we were about to leave WS's house, the skies opened and unleashed a torrent of water on us. As luck would have it, JW decided to steal her cousin sister's 2-door Satria that day, so needless to say we got soaked while trying to get in the car. Hello Murphy!

Note: In retrospect, I shoulda made a greater effort in remembering the names of the stuff we ordered. Oh well, this is my first time doing this.

/excuses

2 comments:

Kimberly Low said...

i know the place hehe but i think the quality of food quite on par with kimgary's and they're actually slightly cheaper...there's like 5 other similar concept restaurants in pandan indah hahaha but the one u went is the best...the others are plain disgusting

Saffron said...

Really ah? I thought Kimgary's food better, though it's a bit pricier. But then it's been a while since I've been to Kimgary, so maybe I remembered wrongly ler.