April 15, 2005

What's your name, darleng?

No, don't tell me, I don't want to know. It's just that I've been chatting with Res and suddenly had an inspiration to blog!

The previous filler post can be thus disregarded, but still, think about the little snippet, ok?

People with names that should be spelled with an 'i' but are, for some reason, spelled with an 'e' are the people who get screwed over the most. Didn't understand that sentence, did you? Being me, there will always be examples to the rescue!

Wai Ting Wai Teng
Ai Ling Ai Leng
Kien Sing Kien Seng
Cheng Ming Cheng Meng
Dar Ling Dar Len...oops.

Obviously, I am one of these people who get screwed over. The source of all this screwing could be the fact that your parents can't spell, your parents tried to be creative, or your parents had siblings who can't spell/tried to be creative. Either way, the common trend here is parents.

Uhh, hi mom!

My case is actually worse, because my middle name should be spelled with 2 'e's, but it is spelled with an 'i' instead. I'll be lucky if people spell one of my names wrongly (Res got both wrong, haha).

This entry obviously doesn't make any sense. It's a bad filler post to replace the previous filler post.

On a sidenote, there will be a Warcraft Tourney at APIIT's TPM campus on the 23rd of April. For more information, erm, actually I don't have more information, but I know there will be prizes, there will be many teams, and there will be a lineup of guys there waiting to pass my inspection because Suanie promised me so.

There will be further updates when I get more information. I can't believe I'm actually promoting a place that took my spleen. *shakes head* It's all Suanie's fault. ;)

6 comments:

S£ΔNNΔ said...

Is this post about breasts?

Anonymous said...

I don't see how a double 'e' could be included in saffron, qingyen or tuburki, so how come its wrong again? ;)

On another note, don't really get the part about why it should've been 'e' but was filled in with 'i' in all the names you've mentioned. I mean waht's wrong with it being replaced with 'i'?

Pebbles said...

Can you imagine if my middle name being replaced by "i"?! *grin*
Thanks for promoting though I doubt poeple are interested!

~Pibblis signing off~ ;)

kennysia said...

I *so* understand what you're talking about. I dunno if its a cool factor, but a lot of Chinese names are mispronounced by Angmohs for that reason. Its kinda embarrassing.

Its like in English, 'cat' rhymes with 'at'. But in BM, 'cat' rhymes with 'fart'.

If you ask me, I think its all very 'cacat'.

Saffron said...

@Seanna:
Well that was completely random. *grins* Sorry if I hurt your feelings in the last chat we had, dearie.

You have the option of not talking to me. :)

@Janus:
Oh, you're a riot. :D

When I say 'should be', it means that people generally spellthose names with an 'i'. For example, if a girl is called Li Ming, naturally people will spell her name Ming with an 'i'. If her parents hated her and spelled her name Ming with an 'e' (ie Meng), then she's going to have to keep correcting people who spell it with an 'i'.

Hence screwed over.

I can tell you have a pretty nice and normal name, Janus. :)

@Pebbles:
ROFL Pibbs.

Can I call you that from now on? :D

Hopefully some stalkers will come round and support your effort, hahaha.

@Kenny Sia:
You should be the expert, Mr Perth. :) Anyway, this is sort of a plea to parents to stop trying to be creative with their kid's names.

On a sidenote, whoa celebrity comment! :D

Originally posted by Frosty:
"hey, people get my name wrong too. funny how everybody just "taruk" your name cos' " isn't that how its supposed to be spelt?" *sighs*
Sorry to delete the post ya? My name is like Sauron's; don't speak it aloud. :D Your name very complicated ler, so I think that's why, heheh.

As for my name, you got it right the first time. Erm, just to be safe, I will PM you the correct spelling in GUM.

Anonymous said...

it's not a warcraft tourney, it's a dota tournament. (and curses, they are not allowing outsiders to join the ut one after they realized otakon (msia ut no.1) was going to join as well)

at least my parents got my name right.. or not. technically my name is translated to 'brave voice' in chinese..