August 28, 2004

Ekin Cheng at Atmosphere!

Last night, I spent 2 hours sitting in a dark pub being blinded by columns of mostly neon green laser lights dancing across the bowels of Atmosphere the pub. The guy/girl who controls the lights must have a very twitchy finger. Someone needs to tell him/her that lights should never blink more than twice per sec. It's a good thing I don't suffer from epilepsy, or I'd find myself jerking on the floor every 20 minutes, foaming at the mouth thrown in for good measure.

We (3 of us) sat in the pub for close to 2 hours, waiting for Ekin Cheng to arrive. 2 of us were actually there to see Chapman To, not Ekin, but as Murphy would have it, Chapman was a no-show. My ass was numb from all that waiting, but we're just lowly peons, nothing much compared to the likes of Ekin, who thought that it was completely appropriate to be late for 2 hours. Never let me hear another word about how women need 2 days advance notice before they can leave the house.

The emcee (I'm told he was Lam Tak Wing of some chinese radio station) helped relieve the boredom by hosting some games, but I'm making an educated guess that some of the contestants didn't like him a lot. It's not nice to call people fat on stage, especially when the person in question is just slightly plump. Aside from sporadic hand-clapping, we sat there in a state of suspended animation, for the better part of an hour. No one would suspect us of popping Ecstasy, that's for sure.

Anyways, my friend was aroused out of her stupor once the emcee announced the arrival of Ekin and Group, and we lost sight of her about 3 seconds before Ekin appeared on stage. FYI, we had the third table from the stage, so it was a pretty good vantage point, but she was armed with a digital camera, and needed to stand right under Ekin's nose to be able to get good shots. At least, that was we thought at first.

Murphy, great friend of mine, decided to drop by and visit us one more time that night. My fanatic friend ended up with crappy shots of Ekin cos of the distance, and when he DID manage to get closer to the crowd (standing near the edge of the stage and posing) my friend's battery died on her. Thankfully she managed to bribe another Ekin-lover to email her some pics, so I guess all was well.

After Ekin left, we split up and I went off for some supper with another group of friends. I survived a night of social activities, away from my hole, quite nicely.

Note to self, cardigan tops are not considered appropriate attire for going to pubs. Next time, try a handkerchief held together with 4 strands of floss. Iced teas of the Long Island variety taste better when the ice has melted quite a bit.

Thanks to Michelle (Miss Malaysia Tourism 2004!) for getting me the tickets. I promise I'll be more graceful the next time I'm begging for something.

No comments: